orange fastback

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
Editor

Re: orange fastback

Post by Editor » 9th May 2015 - 12:36am

Glad you didn't forget that! That should last OK.
I know Jim Adney in the USA sourced some reliable foam material, but it's hard to know what foam will stand up to the potential heat and possible oil contamination until it's been in use for many years.
Dave.

col1600

Post by col1600 » 12th May 2015 - 11:07pm

ok ive got another update with pictures from the last couple of weeks, a big thanks goes out to my brother, who came over for a holiday, and spent nearly everyday out in the garage with me, i left him with a number of jobs and he came up trumps, he was like the project manager, he was happy to make out list of jobs that needed completing and was only happy when he could sit down afterwards and tick off finished jobs..i left him the job of cleaning the gearbox, i wasnt about to sandblast it incase grit got into it..

Also after a LONG wait my t.m.i delivery arrived, a carpet set, new door cards front and back and a complete set of seat covers....

You Love It.!!!

col1600

Post by col1600 » 10th August 2015 - 8:32pm

hi there peeps

a whole lot of stuff has happened since my last post, the car is finished but i just havent had time to update the thread.
but i feel i need to fill in the blanks from then till now just to complete the (long!!) story
so from the last post which included pics of my engine rebuild the story goes like this
engine in and a few teething problems with the fi system but all ironed out and runs like a charm
all injection wiring re-worked with new heat sleeving through out with all new connections
complete new fuel lines run, then onto the interior which is now clad with a new charcoal carpet set, i re-covered the seats first adding more padding and then installed the new t.m.i covers..

You Love It.!!!

Chino

Post by Chino » 10th August 2015 - 9:00pm

Looking really good mate, well done!

col1600

Post by col1600 » 10th August 2015 - 9:17pm

cheers mate, im guessing you didnt make it to bug jam in the fasty..
mine was there, she made it all the way without any hassle what so ever...
You Love It.!!!

Chino

Post by Chino » 10th August 2015 - 9:21pm

Sadly not mate :( didn't get it back from the bodywork in time, now it looks like this strange handling issue will keep it from Action this year. At least one of us made it! :)

jmarkha1

Post by jmarkha1 » 10th August 2015 - 9:54pm

looks great colin - top job there and well done getting it sorted for BJam.
Mine is still wrapped up in the garage - house extension done so type 3 time in a few weeks - looking forward...
The variant Project

col1600

Post by col1600 » 10th August 2015 - 10:42pm

cheers mate, it was a long time coming, thought i would be there this time last year but you no how it goes.
the car was admired by a lot of people, and it made all the hard work worth while.
i ended up showing the car on the sunday show and shine at bugjam and nearly wet meself when it received the "judges choice" award, so im hoping itll get a mention in volksworld soon when they cover the show.
You Love It.!!!

Tight yorkie mick

Post by Tight yorkie mick » 10th August 2015 - 11:22pm

Looks lovely , like the wheel and interior colours and we'll done on judges choice :)

col1600

Post by col1600 » 11th August 2015 - 2:01pm

cheers t.y.m. i actually ended up changing the wheel colour, just thought my choice of red was to postman pat red. so tamed it right down and repainted them in gloss black, gotta say it looks totally different car, slightly more retro than hot rod.
heres more pics of front seats. the front bases were sanded down for repainting, these bases have a textured finish so i came back with the stone chip paint again and layed down a fine coat to get the texture back again, the same stuff i used for the dash which has now had the sun baking the top of the dash and has remained perfect so has proven to be a suitable fix for all your split dashboards.

You Love It.!!!

Marko

Post by Marko » 11th August 2015 - 3:19pm

looking superb! attention to detail all over, fab!

Mark.
my 1968 Fastback Automatic build thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

col1600

Post by col1600 » 8th September 2015 - 10:40am

hi there back again

just a few shots and a small bit of info about the bumpers i went for in the end.

ok so i priced up rechroming my original bumpers and realized that in the long run it would make more sense to buy new
for my case anyway, if my original bumpers were in better shape than they are it may have been an option to rechrome, it looks like mine have been rechromed before as i can see small sanding marks in the metal plus have an odd ding here and there, plus the fact that im living in ireland and there are no chromers here, so i figured start with a shit and end with a shiny shit...
i contacted harrington group bumpers..and after a few detailed discussions and a few photos sent over to them with measurements of my bumpers, they were aware that there production karmann ghia bumpers were the same although some of there bumper bracket measurements were not the same as my given measurements. so a set were made with the matching fixing holes punched out and as requested the other holes left and i would line up the bumpers and drill my own fixing holes..
if you have heard of this company then yes you would have read about miss aligning bumpers and incorrect fitment and all the rest of the horror stories, but all i can say is there service is 100 percent with ultra quick replies to any email sent. the company has a uk office,and manufacturing takes place in vietnam, the bumpers are made from stainless steel so no rusting issues....ever. it took them less than 3 weeks to go from order to my door, and came fully packed with box, bubble wrap and them foamy bits that get every were when you open the box and the stuff ya daughter seems to wont to keep for an art project but ends up clogging up the hoover in a weeks time!!.
so i went about fitting the bumpers and had no hassles what so ever, a straight forward job with no issues. on observation the material used is slightly thinner than original but still very structurally sound.

ok maybe a bit to much info, but handy for anyone with a bumper dilemma in there life!!
with me it was a very satisfactory purchase, it was the cherry on the cake for me as i was dreading putting back on my original bumpers as it would have taken away so much from the car.
You Love It.!!!

Chino

Post by Chino » 8th September 2015 - 11:42am

I now have bumper envy...very wise choice on the stainless I think.

Editor

Post by Editor » 8th September 2015 - 12:01pm

Nice looking product. There's an expression "Buy quality, cry only once!". I wonder if they would do square ended fronts as well, for the 70/71 cars. I think at the price they're really aimed at the Type 1 Ghia, which needs the cut-away corners to clear the bodywork. VW modified the ends of the Type 3 from '72 to suit both. I remember a senior VW engineer telling me the Europa bumpers were rolled as they were too thick to be stamped. They had to be good enough to prevent any body damage at 5mph frontal impact with a wall (USA requirement).
Dave.

col1600

Post by col1600 » 8th September 2015 - 12:50pm

oh believe me dave im still shedding a tear alright..
but its a done deal, dont have to look back in 6 months at pitted bumpers and wish id just dug a bit deeper in to the (now very empty) pocket..
You Love It.!!!

Marko

Post by Marko » 8th September 2015 - 3:41pm

can't fault Harrington for service and quality, price really isn't that bad when compared to re-chroming! only niggle I have found is you can see polishing marks in certain light, no idea how to completely remove them!

car looking great by the way!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

col1600

Post by col1600 » 19th September 2015 - 1:05pm

hi chaps, thought id just go to the end and put up some finished car pictures...

You Love It.!!!

Marko

Post by Marko » 19th September 2015 - 3:24pm

incredible! well done you must be well chuffed with that! flawless :)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

col1600

Post by col1600 » 19th September 2015 - 3:32pm

Cheers mark.. I'm very happy with thee ol girl. Ive put almost 2000 miles up on her so far..the bulk of that was when I came back to the u.k in july for a fortnight's holiday, fully loaded up with the misses and the two brats. Had a great time at the show, tried to get back for vw action but didnt work out, I just love the atmosphere at the vw shows, shame there just aren't enough over here...
You Love It.!!!

jmarkha1

Post by jmarkha1 » 21st September 2015 - 9:38pm

Colin - hats off to you fella - doesnt get any better than that...
properly nice colour scheme and the stance and finish is spot on - enjoy...
The variant Project

col1600

Post by col1600 » 21st September 2015 - 10:49pm

thanks very much jake..

sure was a long road, never thought it would take so long, my initial time scale was going to be a six month wipe over
i never planned to bring it to this level but once i sunk my teeth into it, i thought it was worth going the whole hog.
anyway enough about mine,,, when can we expect to see the squareback back on these pages....very soon i hope.
You Love It.!!!

splitybus

Post by splitybus » 22nd September 2015 - 9:54pm

just read your thread from start to finish and as im 80% ish of the way through mine its insperational.

great work and i have so many questions but one i have is did you spray it yourself in 2K? what breathing gear did you use?

David

col1600

Post by col1600 » 22nd September 2015 - 10:18pm

Hi david
Yes I sprayed the car in 2k.I used a duel filter mask with detachable filters so different types can be screwed on, it was an industrial one which came from my last job, an came with an assortment of canister filters, so if you won't it for just a dusk mask you can. Its as good as you will get but still not what the pro's would use, they'd suggest an air fed mask every time, I use a 12 inch industrial extractor fan with a 20 foot hose to get rid of the fumes as quick as possible. Its not an everyday solution by far but then I'm not spraying everyday.......thank god.
Hope this helps out a little.
Colin
You Love It.!!!

Editor

Post by Editor » 23rd September 2015 - 3:19am

That's a superb job you've made of the paint as well as all the rest.
Just to emphasise the comment on your mask: I'm guessing it's a full face mask, as it's important for the eyes to be protected to stop the airborne particles getting absorbed into your body via your eyes. From what I've read about iso-cyanates, it can accumulate with continuing exposure and cause serious damage to the nervous system.
I primed the Fastback years ago on a freezing cold evening in an enclosed garage, and suffered from tachycardia much of the night. I think I was lucky, and won't do that again.
Dave.

Tight yorkie mick

Post by Tight yorkie mick » 23rd September 2015 - 4:57pm

Looking really nice col , the fake vents are ace, still liked the red rims tho :).