HIP TO BE SQUARE

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
carlosfandango

HIP TO BE SQUARE

Post by carlosfandango » 1st February 2022 - 5:17pm

Hi,

It's about time I introduced my new (to me) ride, a 1969 FI Automatic Squareback.

I recently imported the car from sunny USA, to the mildly moist UK! In it's US life it ran the license plate HP2BSQR

This car is a bit of a survivor, having had little, to no major work done in it's 53 year existence. There's not a huge deal of documented history, so perhaps I'll never know the full story, but the tale goes that this was owned by the same family for most of it's life, and sat languishing on a farm in the Napa Valley, California. I would describe it as honest, with no welding, or replacement of panels but has received a sensitive resto from the previous owners who took it to LA a few years back and spent their time going over the car from front to back.

The exterior is Toga White, and has been given the patina touch, to compliment the dings, knocks and real patina on areas of the car, it's quite nicely done without going overboard, and has been polished to give it some shine! Details and chrome have been refreshed to compliment the body. The previous owner is a carpenter and made the custom roof rack from scratch. It's a very solid example throughout, with no rot anywhere.

Interior is all new, retrimmed in light beige tweed, including roof and new carpets. The dash was shot, so it has a fairly cheapo replacement, something to keep an eye out for future. The rear deck has been trimmed with maple wood to add a bit of custom feel.

Engine is the stock 1600 FI motor, restored close to factory condition, the FI system was overhauled and parts replaced with OEM parts. The odo reads 69k, which is probably accurate given the condition of the car. The electrics were all refreshed and renewed where required, and the car starts and runs beautifully. I've been reading up on the FI system, so hopefully I can keep things running nicely. It's also got new heat exchangers and a stock NOS exhaust.

Overall, it's a nice mix of originality but with some character to set it apart, I'm super happy with the car, just desperate to go for a proper drive, but the roads are just so caked in salt at the moment I feel bad using it.

Since bringing it into the UK last November it's had a bit of work to prep for UK roads and MOT, which it passed without issue, a few little bits and pieces which needed sorting post transit after 4 months at sea etc. I still have to do a couple of things, change gearbox/diff seal, refit front screen seal and some minor jobs. I want to install 3 point seatbelts, since I plan to use the car frequently with the family.

Will be taking her to a few events this summer and a couple of weekends away camping hopefully, can not wait.

Many years ago I ran a 1967 RHD Fastback through uni, so this is a return to younger days, I've seen prices creeping so wanted to get back in whilst I had the chance.

I also have 1967 912 which I've owned for 15 years, it was the natural progression from the fastback.

Will hopefully be at Stanford Hall this year with both cars, and be nice to meet some of you.

Carl
Last edited by carlosfandango on 4th February 2022 - 2:20pm, edited 4 times in total.
Carl

Danny Lord

Re: HIP TO BE SQUARE

Post by Danny Lord » 1st February 2022 - 6:25pm

😎
Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

jmarkha1

Post by jmarkha1 » 2nd February 2022 - 11:04am

Awesome squareback Carl - you've found a goodun. I imported a 69 auto FI squareback about 10yrs ago into UK - it was the first late models with early bulkhead. The 912 looks really good - the best colour too - a great combo. Hope to see the square at some shows this year once were allowed out again :-)
The variant Project

carlosfandango

Post by carlosfandango » 2nd February 2022 - 12:14pm

Thanks! :thumbsup:
Hope to see you at some shows this year.
Carl

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 2nd February 2022 - 9:27pm

Hello,

Yes Please.
The sultan of swing

Aaronslimvw

Post by Aaronslimvw » 4th February 2022 - 7:45pm

Thats a beautiful square!!!! Love it!

vwfye