1967 Fastback SA Import

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
jake@facewest.co.uk

1967 Fastback SA Import

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 17th November 2018 - 8:36pm

So here's my latest purchase.

It is a South African car, imported in 1991 or 2. Looks like it's had a few UK owners since, but only done 20k miles in that time.

So it's a genuine 95k mile car. In about 2005 someone repainted it, and fitted a narrowed T1 beam. It's pretty much untouched since then and hardly been used.

The guy I bought it off had it 5 years and did 1000 miles.

Really happy with it. Interior is original except the carpet and in amazing condition. Paint is really good still and all the rubbers, panels, chrome, sills etc are perfect.

I need to get it running properly as it's a bit of a dog as it's not been used for a long time. I think it just needs a tune up. Brakes seem fine. It idles fine but hesitates a lot under throttle. It's got a 009 Distributor and Weber carbs. But I have a pair of oringal Solex's so might revert back to the OEM spec if I can find a Air cleaner unit and a distributor. But I'll see how well the current set up tunes.

Suspension I'm not so sure about. It's a T1 narrowed beam with dropped spindles. The suspension is OK, it's quite a smooth ride. But it's got laughable 135 tyres on the front and they foul the inner wing well before full lock. My options here I think are first I'll try some wheel spacers, and bigger tyres. If that works then great, otherwise I think I'll look for a T3 beam and put it back to how it should be. I want it to drive well and at the moment it's a cool look, but not very functional. I may be able to adjust the beam to get another couple of inches of ride height. So we'll see.

Also the rear is a bit too low and the camber is a bit of a joke so no wonder it doesn't drive well in a straight line. So I'll raise it a bit, and put more appropriate tyres on it.

Aim is to have it a bit lower than stock but have it driving as it should.

So lots to do, I'll update with more photos when I've had a better chance.

Cheers, Jake

broady_6

Re: 1967 Fastback SA Import

Post by broady_6 » 17th November 2018 - 9:16pm

If its what you want its what you want :P

Beam wise, I assume your aware you will have a bit of cutting and welding to do to revert back to a type 3 beam (if that's what you end up doing)

I often see air filters pop up on ebay between £10 and £50 so you shouldnt struggle, what webers are on it? If its 34's then ill put a tenner down they are full of the wrong jets! Throw that 009 as far as you can in any direction, any SVDA will be better. The hesitation youre feeling is when you press the pedal the engine needs a few degrees more advance to help burn the extra fuel which is arriving in the cylinders. But with the 009 it has to wait for the RPM to rise before it gets the advance. Where as a Vac can dissy will offer the advance much quicker.

Let me know if its on weber 34s and I can point you in the right direction.

Cant wait for some interior photos :D

Cant you keep them both???
The sultan of swing

jake@facewest.co.uk

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 18th November 2018 - 7:27pm

Hi Broady, thanks. Tricky to keep them both as at moment one is at home and the other at work. And it gets in the way at work.

I did the valves and ignition timing today. Timed it to max 28 degrees advance, Which is 8 degrees at idle. It was miles out.
Goes a lot better, also realised the throttle had some slack so no wonder it didn't go so well on light throttle.

Still a bit hesistant at lower rpm, so I'll do the carbs next. But running a lot better.

They are Weber 34ICT. Jets are Idle:53, Main 135. (According to the paperwork that came with them)
Does that sound about right?

I'll take a good look later in the week at the carbs. I'm a bit unsure about what vacuum pipe fittings these carbs have, first for balancing and second for the distributor advance if I choose to ditch the 009 and get a proper vacuum advance unit.

Took it for a good run today, suspension doesn't seem so bad actually. First step I'll try is: 25mm spacers for the front and change from 135-70-15 to 145-80-15.

This should ease my inner wing rubbing issue, make the wheel fill the arch a bit more and give a bit more contact area. Plus it will raise it about 2cm as it is just a wee bit too low for me. But I think that's the most I can go with the current beam. Don't want to change it if I can get it driving nicely.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 18th November 2018 - 8:02pm

you can tweek a couple more degrees if you wanted, 009 is timed at full advance of 30 degrees. Might just take away that low rpm hesitation.

Well, i may yet loose a tenner, those two jets are in the region of what id fit! They have been changed from the standard fit Does it tell you what the air correction jet and emulsion tubes are?

each carb should have a brass port on on the right side if i remember correctly. these should be blanked off for a 009. ( i assume the engine still have its original solex intake manifolds which should have balance ports on them. If/when you want a vac can dissy, use some silicone hose to one of the carb brass tappings.

Type 3s do tend to have a decent ride, so hopefully it wont be much work for you!
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 19th November 2018 - 12:04am

jake@facewest.co.uk wrote:
17th November 2018 - 8:36pm
It's got a 009 Distributor
Bin it and get the right one :roll: ;)

http://www.vwtype3and4club.org.uk/forum ... 26&t=13771

Back to the rest of the car, looks very tidy :thumbsup: , but being an original type of guy have never understood the attraction of a type 1 beam, so I'll leave that for your type 3 owners to discuss :D
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

jake@facewest.co.uk

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 19th November 2018 - 10:21am

Broady:

I don't know the air correction jet / emulsion tube spec. I'll check the balance tubes and vaccum fitting next time I take a look. I guess if I can get it running OK then I don't need to check. Otherwise I'll look there next. But I'll change the dizzy first.

David:

Yes I'd rather it was all stock but it is was it is!

I see the point of a T1 beam if you want to run super low and can accept the limitation in handling that entails: The T3 beam sits below the apron and gets bashed, plus you can't run dropped spindles. Also spares etc are easy to get. But the resultant geometry and handling can't be anywhere near as good as stock. Fine if you want to just potter about, but not good if you want to sling it round corners like the OEM spec could happily be expected to do. That said the more I drive it the happier with it I am. If it performs a bit better on 145 tyres then I'll probably leave as is.

Yes 009 is a bit crap! Good article, thanks. I will change that before I do anything else with the carbs. Any advice which is a good unit to get as a replacement?

Cheers

Jake

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 19th November 2018 - 1:33pm

Any SVDA will be better! Stick a wanted ad up, im sure someone will help out, if not have a look on ebay for an old bosch one, new stuff isn't much cop.
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 2nd December 2018 - 9:17am

David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 2nd December 2018 - 9:42am

Based on my experience, no. The advance curve doesnt work well and tends to make the engine run hot and lack a lot of power low down. I tried running a dual vac can with both hoses connected and just the advance hose connected. Both configurations were awful. Then I put a good single vac full distributor on and it ran like a dream.
The sultan of swing

jake@facewest.co.uk

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 2nd December 2018 - 8:52pm

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up. I got a new distributor with a vacuum can from Machine 7. Cheap but seems to do the job.

Fitted the distributor, set timing: I took off and blocked the vacuum hose and timed the distributor at 30 degrees BTDC total advance at 3000 Rpm.
At idle this is bang on 7.5 degree BTDC.

Previous owner must have thought the carb vacuum outlets were for the manifold balance pipes, so had connected them together. I connected one to the distributor and blanked the other (Waiting for a T to arrive). Looks like the fitted manifolds don't have a manifold vacuum outlet? Balanced the carbs and getting similar reading in airflow from both. Idle speed screw and mixture screw set as per the instructions. The linkages all seem good, same throttle on each carb and same airflow through each carb at 1000,2000 and 3000 rpm.

It's running much better than before, but still a bit too hesitant when at lowish RPM and going on the gas. so I'd say I've got it from running like a dog to running OK but not great. I'd be happy to take it for a long drive now. But it's still not quite right. It's not nippy like it should be. Plugs all seem good, if a little black as it was definately running much too rich before.

I checked the fuel pressure from the pump, it's a 3psi. Do you think that's OK or should I reduce it to 2.5?

My next check then is the emulsion tubes. Any idea if the type is printed on them or obvious? I suspect as per Broady's post that I have F78 and not F6. This could be the issue as it seems F6 is better in the 1600 engine. Anyone any input on that? Will that make a big difference?

Thanks

jake@facewest.co.uk

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 2nd December 2018 - 9:04pm

Other jobs done:

Fully waxoiled underside.
Changed all the fuel lines for decent hose, fitted inline fitting for pressure gauge.
Fixed Horn.
Got some 25mm spacers for the front wheels. Just waiting for longer studs to arrive. Hopefully that will cure the inner arch rubbing. And maybe allow a bigger tyre than the 135's to go on.
Got the screen washers working, now just need the piece of hose that goes from spare to washer bottle.
Waxed all paintwork. Got rid of a few stickers.
Almost ready for next spring now.

Really happy with it. It was really good as I got it, just hardly been used for 10 years so lots of minor niggles to sort.

MID WEST DUBBER

Post by MID WEST DUBBER » 2nd December 2018 - 11:01pm

This fastback looks so good!

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 5th December 2018 - 10:00pm

But not with actually waxoyl? please please not with waxoyl. It does have much by the way of inhibitors by today standard something like dinatrol 4942 is better.

Sounds like youve been rather productive, I would consider changing the fuel line yearly given the relative in expense and it could save a nasty fire.

Sorry for a slightly negative post, just trying to offer useful advice. But please lets have some photos of your work :D
The sultan of swing

jake@facewest.co.uk

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 9th December 2018 - 5:57pm

Sorry Broady yes I used Waxoil. Had some left over from a few years ago. Just wanted to get something on the underside before winter. Maybe next year I'll re do it with the better stuff.

Coming back to my front beam / wheels / spacing issue / handling issue.
It's got a 6" narrowed T1 beam. It's been well installed. Some pics below:

Tyre pressures at 18 front 28 rear.
Wheels are 5.5 inch with ET20 offset.

I'm not a fan of the current front end set up. It looks cool but the drive is a bit sketchy. Not surprising really, previous owner has gone for looks over performance. I like the lowered cal look but not at the price of reduced drive ability. If only I could make it a bit better.......

What I don't like:

Lock is limited. Can't negotiate tight junctions well enough.
At near to full lock I'm getting tyre rub on the inner wing.
Wheels scrub / crab sideways when at moderate lock.
135's are just crap IMO. Want at least 145's. Ideally 155's.
Don't like the tucked in look, fronts are way more inbound than rears.
Ideally I'd be 2 inches higher. Just 1 would be fine though.
It does look awesome though.

I fitted some 25mm wheel spacers today. It's made it a bit better, but only just. Looks better (to me) as I don''t like the wheel tucked under look.

Pic of car / front wheels with 25mm spacers now fitted.

Even with the 25mm spacers it still it rubs the inner wheel arch at near full lock and the wheels scrub anywhere near lock. Plus lock is not very far round either. Makes it feel a bit sketchy pulling out of tight T junctions etc.

Compared to the handling on my 71 Fastback this one feels like it's wet on a dry day. When going straight it's fine, actually quite plush.
So my current options are: (I think?)

I could put standard spindles on in place of dropped spindles. Gives me the right ride height. But that would bring the wheels in a further inch I think?
I'm not sure about using bigger spacers. Anyone know what the max is safe to use? It's already got 4 bolt to 5 bolt conversion plates too.

I can't raise the current beam anymore, the adjusters are at the highest setting.

I could put a 4" T1 narrowed beam on, probably the best solution from where I am now. With Standard spindles. And bigger tyres. But that's a lot of hassle and expense. But then I'd have my current wheels sitting 1 inch further horizontal from the inner wing and 2 and a half inches lower vertically from the inner wing. Also the geometry would be improved from where I am now.

Maybe I'll try it with 155/65 tyres. Wheel rub will be a tiny bit worse, but handling might improve a lot. Might make it a wee bit taller too.

Aim is to have a car that's lowered a bit, but can be used without it feeling like a toy car.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Cheers.

jake@facewest.co.uk

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 9th December 2018 - 6:32pm

And some more pics since you asked!

(ignore the vacuum hose in the bottom RHS, was just in need of a tidy up as I'd just cut some)

jake@facewest.co.uk

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 2nd June 2019 - 11:51am

Thought I'd update this since it's been a while.

Picture gallery here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WoLFpsT9rjxoH5pC9

A few issues that I've sorted:

Sold the Weber carbs it came with, got the original refurbished Solex carbs and air cleaner set up.
New Vaccum distributor to replace 009
All new fuel lines
New ignition leads
Gave the engine a good tune. Learned a lot about Dual carbs, I've not had them before.

Took up the carpet. Pans were good, still had original flooring down. I took them up and cleaned up the minor surface rust then painted, then soundproofed.

Replaced the reflective material under the engine lid as the original was torn.

Cleaned up the underside of wings and pans and waxoyled them.
Fixed Horn.

Got a new front beam fitted. That's beyond me so got the professionals to do that. It had a 6 inch narrowed beam which wasn't the best to drive, it rubbed the arches and had limited lock. So I got a new 3 inch T1 narrowed beam fitted. It's much more drive-able now.

Done 400 miles this month and it's running perfectly.

That's it for now. Going to drive it for the summer then in Autumn I'll clean up the underside properly and paint the inner wings and floor pans. Tiny amount of rust to sort on the front wings / doors.

If anyone knows what the knob should look like for the top of the heater control moulding / where I can get one, that would be great. At the moment it's just a screw thread. (See my pictures).

Cheers

jake@facewest.co.uk

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 21st October 2019 - 4:28pm

Had a bit of time to play with the car and got a few more jobs done.

New engine and gearbox oil. Bit of a tune up.

Fixed leaky rear wheel bearing seal.

New Brake shoes.

Took off door cards and cleaned inner doors and drain holes.

Took it for a MOT today and it passed first time, just an advisory on the wheel rubbing the inner arch on lock. Yippee.

It's been driving great, had it a year now and done 1000 miles, so it's getting out a bit.
Didn't get to any shows this year but will try next year.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 27th October 2019 - 9:48pm

Excellent news! And it still looks great :) Did you put any rust proofing inside the doors when you were cleaning out hte drain holes? I brush a bit of dinatrol into mine every year or so, just stops the water getting into the seams.
The sultan of swing

jake@facewest.co.uk

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 1st November 2019 - 7:00pm

Hi Broady,

There was plenty of waxoil in there already, probably too much as it can easily block the drain holes. So I cleaned it all out and just put a thin coat on.

Cheers