New purchase

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
scottm

New purchase

Post by scottm » 14th June 2022 - 4:19pm

Afternoon folks. Ive been dipping in an out of here for a few years now. I was a member of the club back in late 80s-early 90s when i had a type 3 fastback then a 412 variant. Any way i have posted my membership application & money to rejoin.
Last weekend i finally got my paws on another 412 LE variant. It had been in the gents garage in the West Highland coast in Scotland since 1990 after suffering a brake fluid leak. Got to make a start on it yesterday. Its obviously a wee bit crusty here and there but over all is quite solid, worst parts are the rear arches which i know always go. Not sure how ill fix these yet, may have to get a pro to make something unless i can find something with similar profile.
Im going to get it roadworthy first though so started on the front brakes, calipers on bench and stripped down, will rebuild this evening. New pipes & hoses throughout will be going on this week , strip down the rears , new cylinders etc then hopefully the master will be good enough to reseal.
I am intending replacing the fuel hoses front to back & in the engine before i even consider trying to prep it for starting. Ive got all the parts for the above so just time holding me back.
What battery do i need ? there is not one at all and i cant remember which battery fits ( obviously dont want it sparking the bottom of the seat)
i would post a pic of it getting trailered through Glen Coe but my IT skills are pretty rubbish
1973 VW 412 LE Variant

Dave Summers

Re: New purchase

Post by Dave Summers » 30th July 2022 - 5:55pm

Interesting to know of one turning up, especially in the Highlands. I've just seen it was you I replied to in March on repairing the rear arches - were you looking at buying this car then?
It would be good to see a photo. Broady has done a guide to posting photos at the top of most of the sections of the board, including this one.
Dave
412 Variant
411 2-door saloon

scottm

Re: New purchase

Post by scottm » 4th August 2022 - 5:06pm

Hi Dave

Yes it was that one I was looking at, had a few issues which delayed collection but had it 2 months now.
Ive changed the front brakes completely and also fuel lines and bearings , checked over the suspension. Now working on the rear end. Surprisingly only needs a very small patch in the o/s sill for welding jobs ( that ive found so far) Hoping to have a scruffy runner soon and can restore properly over time when i move house.

Ive looked at the photo idiot guide and decided im an idiot, not very IT literate and couldnt make head or tail of it.
1973 VW 412 LE Variant