carbs seeping fuel from main gasket?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Marko

Re: carbs seeping fuel from main gasket?

Post by Marko » 21st March 2013 - 7:58pm

engine number is T0885889, it's actually a 71 engine. the distributor is a "T" model which is for dual carbs with manual transmission, mine is an auto and would of had a "AA" distributor, it's finding the correct parts that is so difficult. I'm on my 3rd distributor now and just want to make the most of it an get it running so I can enjoy it for spring :)
my 1968 Fastback Automatic build thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 21st March 2013 - 9:08pm

ok, the dissy in my car im pretty sure is from an auto. It is cetainly a Dual Vac. I will check the code over the weekend. If your dissy is in good working order and works on my engine. I may be willing to do a deal with you

I will keep you posted with my code
The sultan of swing

Editor

Post by Editor » 24th March 2013 - 12:27am

I guess the odd person might have got one NOS many years ago and not fitted it yet. There are people out there who daren't sell rare things like that in case they need them for their own.
Dave.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 24th March 2013 - 9:58pm

bugger i forgot to look again. been busy doing a head a gasket on the 944. I will check this week
The sultan of swing

Marko

Post by Marko » 25th March 2013 - 4:59am

broady_6 wrote:bugger i forgot to look again. been busy doing a head a gasket on the 944. I will check this week
no worries!

rebuilt my carbs again yesterday and they appear to have stopped leaking fuel :) I used the top sections from my spare carbs as they were a lot straighter than the ones on my engine and I flatted the main bodies down again but went to 400 grade wet and dry.

all I have to do now is set the carbs up and set the timing the best I can :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

Marko

Post by Marko » 6th April 2013 - 6:28pm

had a chance to play with the carbs today and try and get it finely tuned ready for it's test. I let the engine warm up fully but at 1st it was a little lumpy but as it warmed up it was fine, set the timing as it should be and it sounded perfect! BUT, I notice it's very hard to start when warmed up, any ideas what the problem could be there?

volume screws are approx 2 turns unscrewed and timing set with both vacuum tubes connected at 0 degrees (as recommended in papers I have)

Mark.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 6th April 2013 - 8:58pm

It could be a timing issue, to much advance on start up will make it difficult.

Depends where you fuel line is routed in the engine bay, it an boil the fuel but only if the engines hot and i doubt thats an issue idling on your drive way.

You are welcome to use my analyzer and work out what if your to lean!
The sultan of swing

Marko

Post by Marko » 6th April 2013 - 9:11pm

fuel line is routed as stock I think, I'm using the original clips to hold them in place.

might be my timing again!

tried a bit ago to start it and started OK but was ticking over very low and had to rev it for a while to keep it from stalling, if I adjust the tick over again it then runs to fast when fully warm, I can't win!!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

Marko

Post by Marko » 7th April 2013 - 10:16am

progress!

just took the carbs off again ( :lol: ) and tackled this slow running with choke on issue, was really simple and a case of adjusting the cams and rods so they open the throttle when cold (chokes fully closed). I was ignorant to this rebuild procedure as my carbs were completely stripped down to the bare bones and I didn't take pictures before hand..

re-fitted carbs and it started on the 1st crank and ticked over higher with no signs of wanting to cut out.

only thing left to look at is the hard starting when warm, I just re-routed the in feed fuel line as it was resting on oil cooler which is not a good idea :roll: that might help.

Mark.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

Editor

Post by Editor » 7th April 2013 - 11:45pm

That's pretty normal. It can be boiling off of fuel - smell the air vents for petrol fumes. You can prime with a couple of accelerator squirts - see if that helps. I can't recall any time when the engine got over-rich by a squirt or two.
Dave.

sima112

Post by sima112 » 14th September 2021 - 6:21pm

This might be useful for someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU6aVBW71Es&t=19s

one of the possible reasons for hot starts problems.