Dissy

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
kaddy

Dissy

Post by kaddy » 9th June 2022 - 2:21pm

I have decided to bin the 009 dissy that was always on the fastback, and go back to the original SVDA distributor that should be on it.

But the svda I have is a little tight on the space with the vacuum can.

So my question to you aficionados is, what distributor numbers are you running with on a stock dual carb setup.

Thankyou

PS

Its set at 5 degrees ATDC, and I definitely could not swing it around for a max advance of 30 degrees, as the can would be fouling on the tinwork.

My last 3 digit on the code is 205L
well four :D
Last edited by kaddy on 9th June 2022 - 9:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

purplepeter

Re: Dissy

Post by purplepeter » 9th June 2022 - 7:22pm

Space is always tight with a Type 3
I'm on a 205T, As far as I know it's original to the car.
from memory, as you stand behind the car looking into the engine bay, the vac can is 10-12 o clock & you have to move the Oil pressure manifold to suit.
Has your engine been messed about with? Are you happy that the drive is in the right place?

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 9th June 2022 - 9:14pm

My engine has not been messed with, its had a topend rebuild by me.

Its a dual carb stock solex setup, and originally had a 009, with a small hesitation. My can is at 10-12, and the gear in the engine is at 60degrees but not 100%
sure if the large segment is towards the fan. When the dissy is in and the body is nearest to where it should be, the rotor points to 3 o clock when the pulley is at number one, and the mark on the dissy body for number one is pointing to the fan.

Its currently at about 5 degrees after TDC, but i cant tweek it any more than that.

Its driving with good power but backfires a little on the over run, thanks to the late timing.

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 9th June 2022 - 9:15pm

I will double check the drive tomorrow to make sure its in the right spot.

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 9th June 2022 - 9:23pm

I just checked my engine number for timing details, and it should be 7.5 degrees before top dead centre,
so as it is its a nice bit out, but the 205l is listed for my engine.

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 9th June 2022 - 9:52pm

Of course this nevr came to light when I was rebuilding the engine using the 009 dissy that was on it when I got it.
Its only now that the vacuum can is making an appearance. I just had another look at it with a good flash lamp, and the interference is so slight,
but its enough. I might have to do some tinwork re alignment with a small punch, and not too big a hammer :D

I foresee a massive improvement, even the vacuum signal in use now has made a big difference, so I cant wait to see what the proper timing will do.

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 10th June 2022 - 9:33am

So back to basics.
I took off the rocker cover to confirm that I am actually on number 1 cylinder at top dead centre.
All good here.
Check the dissy to where number on is pointing to. Rotor is pointing to 3 o clock looking at the engine, and number one on the dissy body is at 6 o clock.
Took dissy off to check the gear position.
Its wrong, large segment is towards the flywheel instead of toward the fan. And the angle starts from low down on the right hand side instead of low down on the left hand side.
So repositioning the leads is the short term fix until I buy a gear removal tool.
Check to see the obstruction on the tin work, pinpointed and eased. Dissy back in and timed where it should be. It now sounds and responds like a different engine.
Jobs a good un.

Contact point is at the end of the screwdriver.

Gear large segment is towards the flywheel which is wrong.

And position of distributor and rotor pointing to number 1 at 3 o clock position when dissy body is marked at 6 o clock.

But all good now and just need to take it for a spin later today.
Attachments
DSCF4845.JPG
DSCF4845.JPG (158.49 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
DSCF4848.JPG
DSCF4848.JPG (148.15 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
DSCF4852.JPG
DSCF4852.JPG (217.13 KiB) Viewed 2749 times

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 10th June 2022 - 10:23am

That all sounds like a happy ending!
Good luck with the drive & shims
You'll have already thought of this, but if your Fuel pump pedestal comes out easily, it gives you a view down into the case as you pull the drive
I take it you've got the L shaped Timing plate/aid?

(looks like you're missing a hose clip on top of pump)

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 10th June 2022 - 12:45pm

Off to order the removal tool now. yep there is a clip missing that will get sorted.
L shaped tool is in the toolbox.

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 11th June 2022 - 7:09pm

Took it out for a spin today, and ut was a different car, it went like a bird just floated along the road.

Next step is to install an AFR gauge and sensor to properly monitor the fuel ration, removing the speculation of tuning by ear.