panel work

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
scottm

panel work

Post by scottm » 8th March 2022 - 4:46pm

Hi
Im looking at a project just now that will require the usual repairs on the forward parts of the rear wheelarches . Its not too bad but am looking for advice as to the best way to repair. Is there a wing which can be utilised ( probably from another vehicle) with the same profile that I could take a cut from?
Secondly - sills - I have seen that volvo ones are similar ? is that correct ? if so which ones - I have seen both 240 & 740 mentioned. (again I dont think they are too bad and may be repairable when I get a chance o fully inspect)

I will post more details about the car when I can confirm purchase.
1973 VW 412 LE Variant

s.unsworth

Re: panel work

Post by s.unsworth » 10th March 2022 - 9:24pm

Proper Repair Panels and Sills were available. Try Type 3 Detectives, T3D, T2D and Rhod Grub.

scottm

Post by scottm » 10th March 2022 - 10:03pm

Hi sorry , it’s for a 412 variant. I thought I’d posted in the type 4 section
1973 VW 412 LE Variant

Dave Summers

Post by Dave Summers » 14th March 2022 - 7:41pm

I've read on another thread here that Volvo 740 sills are similar to the Type 4 ones. I went to a Volvo dealer a couple of years ago but when I asked if 940 sills were the same as 740 they wanted the registration number! It also wasn't clear if they were still available from the main dealers, but they did give me the parts drawing. Volvo sills should be available from other sources though.
Dave
412 Variant
411 2-door saloon

scottm

Post by scottm » 16th March 2022 - 9:06pm

Thanks Dave , I’ve read both 740 & 240 have similar profiles ( the 940 sill should be same as 740 it was just a facelift 740 ) eBay have both , just not sure of the difference if any between them .
Any ideas re cuts for the rear arches ?
1973 VW 412 LE Variant

Dave Summers

Post by Dave Summers » 16th March 2022 - 9:47pm

Scott
I've taken a cut from a 412 front wing which was rotten along the top but sound (well, fairly sound) on the arch which I'm planning to use to repair the forward part of the rear arch on my car. It's not exactly circular but choosing the right bit gives quite a close match which should only need slight fettling. I haven't fitted it yet though...
I would expect that Type 3 wings (front or rear) have a similar curve, and as late Type 3 fronts rot around the headlights, you stand a chance of finding ones that could be used. Rears are a closer match to the inward curve of the body side though, but probably less curved than the Type 4. Depending how much you need to replace, either type would probably need some reshaping to blend into the side of the car, but the main curve and lip are the most important parts to match.
Apart from that, I don't know. I've just looked at a picture of a Volvo 240 2-door on Google, and it looks as if it might work, but it's probably a case of thinking through other models (preferably 2-door) that use 15 inch wheels and are made from decent metal, and then visiting a scrapyard on the off-chance of finding something.
I'll try to have a look in daylight to see how wildly out my guesses are.
For metal shaping techniques, Trev's Blog https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB8HF8 ... 7DFqX9lf_g is excellent, although he doesn't post very often. I made a good double-curved repair patch soon after finding his channel, which I couldn't have done without it.
Dave
412 Variant
411 2-door saloon

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 17th March 2022 - 9:11am

It might be worth your while to get in touch with both Jane terry (https://www.volksfarmers.co.uk/) & Jim Bourne, president of the club-He's in Barcombe, East Sussex
They are both well known experts in Type 4's
Jim has a stash of parts, but I haven't told you that! Just as I haven't told you He's a bit of a funny bugger just like the rest of us, so be patient!
Jane is very approachable, but bear in mind that She & Her husband are also Farmers, so maybe an early evening call will catch her relaxed/less busy.
From what I've seen of the volvo sills, the repro panels are a good starting point, but not an exact match

I think it's also worth a call/email to Dave Hall, Editor of the club- As far as I know He hasn't got any Type 4 Goodies other than FI components, but He will at least be able to give you Jim's Phone number.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 17th March 2022 - 7:33pm