Auto gearbox refresh

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
carlosfandango

Auto gearbox refresh

Post by carlosfandango » 6th February 2022 - 11:21am

Another question for you knowledgable folks!

I think my gearbox and diff need a little tlc, there’s a load of oil crudded up around the seal between the box and diff, possibly the seal is shot and leaking as well as possibly mixing between box and diff. There’s nothing dripping but the car is new to me so I haven’t really driven it much to find out for sure.

The changes seem smooth enough and no noises so I don’t anticipate any issues but it would be nice to just sort the seals and clean it up.

I’m not equipped to sort this myself, does anyone have any advice where I could take it to get sorted? I’m based in West Midlands but can travel if necessary. Ideally would like this sorted before the summer and done by a reputable outfit!

*edited for typos!
Last edited by carlosfandango on 7th February 2022 - 1:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl

jmarkha1

Re: Auto gearbox refresh

Post by jmarkha1 » 7th February 2022 - 11:09am

I 'went through' my autobox and would strongly recommend leaving it alone unless it is faulty.
These 003 boxes are VERY strong. I would check the vacuum line for any damage to the pipe and change the fluids - maybe change the sump filter and gasket and see how you get on.
The variant Project

carlosfandango

Post by carlosfandango » 7th February 2022 - 2:58pm

Leaving it well alone is certainly a desirable option to be honest!
Thanks for the tips, I'll change the fluids for sure, need to put some miles in to see how things really are. :thumbsup:
Carl

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 10th March 2022 - 9:35pm

Get the Seal between the Auto Transmission Fluid in the Auto Box and the Gear Oil in the Differential changed ASAP ! Auto Transmission Fluid in the Gear Oil doesn’t work. The Differential will seize up / strip all the Teeth off the Crownwheel and Pinion. This happened to my Type 3 Variant on first test drive after fitting a used Auto Transmission. Diff. seized. Locked Rear Wheels. Car through Hedge backwards ! Ended up getting the Original Auto Trans rebuilt by The Automatic Transmission people in Preston. New Clutches, Brake Bands and all New Seals. That was in 1993 and it’s still fine now.