Front brake line

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
satts

Front brake line

Post by satts » 25th July 2021 - 6:47pm

I’m having real problems removing the flexible brake hose on the front brakes of my fasty.
I’ve never know anything like it. I’ve even removed the whole right hand section from the Brake Master Cylinder and held the copper brake line nut in a vice and I still can’t disconnect it. (It’s the 17mm nut and 11mm combo which just won’t shift)
I’m at risk of rounding the 11mm nut on the brake line which will mean I need to replace it.

If anybody has any serviceable front brake line sections they don’t need I’d be interested. I can’t see I’d going to be able to unbolt this.
I’m sure I’ll have the same problem on the longer left hand side (it’s a RHD car) so I’ll need both sides.

Any other suggestions welcome!

purplepeter

Re: Front brake line

Post by purplepeter » 25th July 2021 - 8:00pm

A good wire brushing of the exposed thread & lots of plus gas ought to do it
A blow torch might help as well, before you go to the extreme of a blob of weld on the nut

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 25th July 2021 - 8:52pm

As peter says, but if you cant undo them, then the hard lines are very easy to make and the flexi hoses are both available for about £12 each, so might be the better option. Given it sounds like yours have been on the car for a long time and the rubber hoses tend to collapse internally which leads to brakes binding.
The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 25th July 2021 - 10:15pm

Further thoughts are that a proper Flare nut spanner will make life easier And help preserve the flare nuts https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-too ... 28251.html

Cut a length of string to the exact length of solid brake line needed, & your local garage will make up the new sections fairly cheaply, or treat yourself to a flaring kit & a coil of Kunifer & You'll never look back!

To identify the flexi's needed, see here : http://www.vwtype3and4club.org.uk/_docs ... rtswap.htm

satts

Post by satts » 26th July 2021 - 1:16pm

Thanks, good tips guys. I’ve not seen flare spanners before so will definitely get me some of those.

Knowing what plan B could look like give me more confidence to really go for it with plan A.

I’ll let you know how I get on.

satts

Post by satts » 1st August 2021 - 6:50pm

I managed to get the brake lines all discounted today. The flare spanner proved decisive, as did my vice.
One of the copper nuts is a bit dicey but hopefully it’s serviceable.
They were an utter b*stard to undo - thanks for the tips

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 1st August 2021 - 10:05pm

Well done!
Next we need to encourage you to wire brush/plusgas the Caliper bleed nipples & get them loosened before reassembly
And warn you that most people find type 3's a bit of a bugger to bleed!

satts

Post by satts » 11th August 2021 - 8:40pm

Seems I have a bigger problem before I get that far.

The spindles I have look to be off a later model. The bolt holes for the callipers are 760mm apart. The Calipers I have are earlier with the bolt holes 560mm apart.
A quick google seems to suggest that later calipers are hard to come by. I don’t see any earlier spindles for sale either.

Can anybody shed some light here. Have a walked into a problem or is there a way to source either the later calipers or the earlier spindles??

BTW I assume the spindles are interchangeable? I have no idea what year car the beam came off.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 18th August 2021 - 8:17am

From memory a BMW caliper fits later spindles. I also believe VWH sell the calipers. But I will have to check things out this evening. Have a google about the BMW calipers in the mean time. I hope it helps.
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 24th August 2021 - 9:43pm

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14993&p=71050#p71050

This man is selling a lot of parts, including spindles. Might be worth an ask incase they are the requiered bolt spacing
The sultan of swing

satts

Post by satts » 30th August 2021 - 9:28am

Thanks Broady, I think I’m sorted now