Thermostat fitment

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
muddy

Thermostat fitment

Post by muddy » 22nd July 2021 - 7:52am

Hi all, it's been a while.

I'm selling the fasty but before it goes i'd like to sort out the thermostat on the engine. When I bought the car one was never fitted, many aren't from what I gather, but if it was fitted by VW then it was for a reason, and I'd like to sort it.

I can remember when i stripped the engine down that the flaps were fitted, and I have a rod peeping through the push rod tubes.

I've had a half hearted attempt at pulling down on the rod by lying on my back and wedging my hand in but got no movement, should it push up or down to close the flap. I assume if the spring is fitted that the flaps are held permanently open?

Next thing, I've bought a bracket from Danny lord, is it just case of buying a thermostat screwing it on the rod and then bolting it to the bracket and the bracket to the engine case?

The only other thing is getting my hands on a thermostat. There are few for sale on VW heritage, Coolair vw etc, but not sure if these are right for the fasty. Any help or ideas on this?

Many thanks.
1971 VW Type 3 1600 TE Fastback. Body off Resto completed, now just bits and pieces and niff naff to do.
Volksworld Magazine featured car 2013
Instagram: @type3.fastback

JackReddick

Re: Thermostat fitment

Post by JackReddick » 14th August 2021 - 3:36pm

I'm sure you've already got this sorted as it's a bit late -

The thermostat expands as it heats up so it pushes up on the rod (or just releases the tension on the rod) allowing the flaps to gradually open as it expands.

The thermostat is just threaded onto the end of the rod, and then bolted into the bracket, which bolts to the side of the block.
if you buy a "modern" style thermostat (not the bellows type) you'll need to mod the bracket - plenty of videos on youtube and going by your build thread a walk in the park for you!

Jack