Fasty too low

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
satts

Fasty too low

Post by satts » 22nd June 2021 - 7:34pm

Hi all,

I finally took the plunge and bought a type 3 fasty. Liked them for a long time and decide to go for it. I’m familiar with the type 1 and have a type 14 so I understand the basics but I’m learning how different a type 3 can be!

The car I have has been lowered and has a narrow beam, type 1. The drive is terrible. My KG is lowered but has a stock beam with adjusters so I’m ok with lowered - just not like this.

I’m after advice on the best option to improve the drive. I’m thinking of putting a stock beam back in and I gather I can lower that on the splines to give it a stance. If I do that I’m assuming I can improve the drive but I’ll need to get stock tie rods too - not sure where to find them.

Other options seems to be to go with a new beam, I see a number of sites selling them. They tend to be narrowed and pricey.

Any advice on getting a stance with a nicer drive would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

BTW I would add a pic of the car but photobucket seems to have kicked off on one since I last posted on a forum.

broady_6

Re: Fasty too low

Post by broady_6 » 22nd June 2021 - 9:13pm

Hello and welcome.

Yes Photobucket changed owners a few years ago and broke a lot of forums. But you can still use flickr or imgshack.

I cant comment on decked out type 3s and ride. Mine is dropped by and inch and the ride is lovely. Im stock all round with new dampers. I never consider a type 1 beam, the type 3 beam is far more advanced and thus gives better ride quality.
The sultan of swing

satts

Post by satts » 23rd June 2021 - 6:49am

Thanks Broady,

I’ll carry on with the stock beam plan for now. Still struggling to source all the parts - the long tie rod being the main problem. I’ve seen a site in the US which appears to sell them but I was hoping to source something closer to home.

I’ll look into flickr to imgshack later.

jmarkha1

Post by jmarkha1 » 23rd June 2021 - 9:50am

ideally buy a complete used type3 beam with trailing arms, tie rods - you can then replace BJs, seals and track rod ends. I have a type 1 beam going on my squareback - not due to the amount of lowering but the offset of the wheels. Have you tried raising the current beam? - if lowered too much the joints could be binding which will make the ride nasty...
The variant Project

satts

Post by satts » 23rd June 2021 - 8:07pm

It wasn’t so much lowered as slammed. It’s adjusted up as high as it will go but still too low for me. I’ll check the ball joints as they could be a problem.
I think I’ve sources a beam with trailing arms and hubs but no tie rods. I’ll pick that up on Friday and go from there.

DevonNotch

Post by DevonNotch » 27th June 2021 - 6:23pm

If you can wait 6 weeks or so then I’ll have a complete 1972 type3 front beam for sale?
1972 VW Notchback
1978 VW Beetle Last Edition no. 164
1979 VW Bay Window Westfalia campervan

satts

Post by satts » 25th July 2021 - 6:38pm

Thanks DevonNotch but I got a beam sourced already - otherwise I would have taken you up on that!
I’ve decided to fit a stock beam for now, but lower it a few splines. Then I’m going to revisit the Type 1 narrow beam at the later date. My priority at the moment is to get the drive right and enjoy it.