Remove cylinder head with engine in car?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
1967_vw

Remove cylinder head with engine in car?

Post by 1967_vw » 12th March 2021 - 8:50am

Long shot i know, and i expect the answer will be no, but is it possible to remove a cylinder head while the engine is still in a Type 3? I was thinking there might be a little movement if the supports were loosened/removed and the whole engine/gearbox was allowed to 'hang' a little.

I'm trying to avoid the removal as i don't always have assistance and it's a heavy beast to manoeuvre and lift etc.

cheers
Kev

purplepeter

Re: Remove cylinder head with engine in car?

Post by purplepeter » 12th March 2021 - 10:49am

I would say it's a "NO" !
Just getting the exhaust off will be a pain, & the main heat exchanger needs wiggling backwards as you undo the nuts, but it wont come off with the engine support bar in place
Single handed engine removal/ replacement is perfectly do-able: make sure you arm yourself with a selection of wooden blocks to balance the engine on as you lower/raise it, then something like a scaffold pole to lever it on & off the blocks & something like an estate agents sign, ie a sheet of correx, which will take the weight of the engine & it slides really easily on most surfaces ( which allows you to remove the trolley jack from under the engine)

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 14th March 2021 - 9:59am

As peter said. I used to get mine out on a trolley jack. Which was on a sheet of ply wood. Roll the engine forwards on to the exchnagers and off the jack. Then roll the engine back on to the sheet of ply. Slide the engine out on the ply wood.

Ive done plenty of engine removals and install on beetles, campers and type 3s on my own.
The sultan of swing

1967_vw

Post by 1967_vw » 17th March 2021 - 2:39pm

Thanks Guys - as i suspected, but it was worth asking :-)

Kev

Dave Summers

Post by Dave Summers » 21st March 2021 - 12:52pm

I've taken Type 3 engines out and in single-handed a few times, including once lying in snow. Type 4 engines are a lot heavier.
Dave
412 Variant
411 2-door saloon