Type 3 replacement / rebuilt dynamo?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
George

Type 3 replacement / rebuilt dynamo?

Post by George » 15th September 2019 - 9:37pm

One of the bearings on my 72 Fastbacks dynamo is on the way out. Does anyone offer rebuilt Bosch units on an exchange bases, or is there a good refurbish company that can be recommended?

sparkywig

Re: Type 3 replacement / rebuilt dynamo?

Post by sparkywig » 16th September 2019 - 9:02pm

Try a local auto electrician. If they can't do it, they'll know a company that can.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 17th September 2019 - 3:12pm

I know of a place in Lincoln. Had a couple of jobs done any they're fair prices
The sultan of swing

George

Post by George » 18th September 2019 - 8:17pm

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated. As its just the bearing I'm going to try to change it myself, I hear its not to challenging to do (I say that now anyway!).
The pulley wheel is a bit tired so thinking of changing that too. Apart from the notch cut out in the outer diameter for the type 1 locking tool, the beetle pulley wheel looks like it can be used on the type 3 also I assume?

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 18th September 2019 - 8:47pm

Incorrect unfortunately, the pulley is type 3 only. As far as I know the best you will be able to get is a good used item. 6V and 12V are also different diameter so I recall.

But otherwise yes they are fairly stright forward to rebuild, the only rreally fiddly bit it getting the brushes back on the com with out chipping them, but will some care and patients its managable. If you can grow at 3rd hand as well it will help :)
The sultan of swing

George

Post by George » 19th September 2019 - 9:02pm

Thanks for that. A few parts suppliers are saying a type one pulley is suitable, but I know their knowledge of type three parts can be poor. I will hunt down a used one.

Editor

Post by Editor » 2nd March 2020 - 1:47am

BTW, Type 3 belt tension doesn't need to be very large as it's not got the load of a fan as the Beetle does. Too much belt tension is the main reason for dynamo bearing problems.
Dave.