Engine stalling/cutting out

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
muddy

Engine stalling/cutting out

Post by muddy » 1st April 2019 - 8:31am

So after months and months of the car not running properly Broady kindly offered his help and assistance and we got the car running properly.

It now fires on the button every time and idles fine from cold, however after a while running stationary on idle, the engine stalls/cuts out.
The engine will then re-start with no problems but will then stall/cut-out after about 20/30 seconds. It will continue to do this.

I suspect it is heat related or a sensor issue perhaps? I can't recall this issue prior to the resto starting.

It's a Fuel injection car. Any help or ideas most welcome :D

I've not physically been out for a drive yet as I'm worried that it will stall at every set of traffic lights I come to (There are a lot of traffic lights by my house)

So close now.
1971 VW Type 3 1600 TE Fastback. Body off Resto completed, now just bits and pieces and niff naff to do.
Volksworld Magazine featured car 2013
Instagram: @type3.fastback

Rob 400e

Re: Engine stalling/cutting out

Post by Rob 400e » 2nd April 2019 - 5:02pm

I'm no mechanic but it does sound fuel related, vacuuming petrol filler cap breather. Easy check remove the cap. Just a thought.
Type 411 Le four door auto .

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 2nd April 2019 - 5:31pm

Good call! Any fuel injection nerds got anything to add. Way out of my depth
The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 3rd April 2019 - 12:44pm

Fuel filter/watery petrol?
Stock filter should be in spare wheel well, but follow the lines & see if some bugger has added another one?

Editor

Post by Editor » 6th April 2019 - 1:05am

FI Filter is clipped to the fuel pump, which is mounted to the front axle; it's a square plastic box. Item 4 in diagram at http://www.hallvw.clara.net/type3/T3pbo/T3pb1-70.htm . The normal inline round plastic filters are not suitable. I have a very few of the NOS ones.

You could separate the hose from the outlet of the filter and see if fuel flows freely from it. If so the filter is probably not the trouble.
The Haynes manual doesn't really help much, but John Muir's How to Keep your Volkswagen Alive is thorough, and available on Amazon and Ebay around £13, or less (bargain!). The brown 'Bentley' is excellent, but much more expensive at £45.

There's a cold start valve which allows extra air in as a fast idle control. It's where the fuel pump sits in the carb version. The extra air also gets the pressure sensor alloy can on left of engine bay to provide more fuel for warm-up. If you pull off the pipe, it should make the engine run faster.

There's a lot of other stuff that may stop it running correctly; a thorough check following the items in the Muir book should help you find the problem.
Dave.

muddy

Post by muddy » 8th April 2019 - 10:05am

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.
1971 VW Type 3 1600 TE Fastback. Body off Resto completed, now just bits and pieces and niff naff to do.

muddy

Post by muddy » 8th April 2019 - 10:07am

purplepeter wrote:
3rd April 2019 - 12:44pm
Fuel filter/watery petrol?
Stock filter should be in spare wheel well, but follow the lines & see if some bugger has added another one?
It's relatively fresh (ish) petrol. The whole fuel system is new (Expect for fuel pump). New hose, new filter, refurbished fuel injectors.

muddy

Post by muddy » 8th April 2019 - 10:08am

Rob 400e wrote:
2nd April 2019 - 5:02pm
I'm no mechanic but it does sound fuel related, vacuuming petrol filler cap breather. Easy check remove the cap. Just a thought.
Starter the car yesterday with fuel cap off, no difference, same problem :tear:

muddy

Post by muddy » 8th April 2019 - 10:18am

Editor wrote:
6th April 2019 - 1:05am
FI Filter is clipped to the fuel pump, which is mounted to the front axle; it's a square plastic box. Item 4 in diagram at http://www.hallvw.clara.net/type3/T3pbo/T3pb1-70.htm . The normal inline round plastic filters are not suitable. I have a very few of the NOS ones.

You could separate the hose from the outlet of the filter and see if fuel flows freely from it. If so the filter is probably not the trouble.
The Haynes manual doesn't really help much, but John Muir's How to Keep your Volkswagen Alive is thorough, and available on Amazon and Ebay around £13, or less (bargain!). The brown 'Bentley' is excellent, but much more expensive at £45.

There's a cold start valve which allows extra air in as a fast idle control. It's where the fuel pump sits in the carb version. The extra air also gets the pressure sensor alloy can on left of engine bay to provide more fuel for warm-up. If you pull off the pipe, it should make the engine run faster.

There's a lot of other stuff that may stop it running correctly; a thorough check following the items in the Muir book should help you find the problem.
It's a new filter, not OEM, it's a modern metal cylindrical type. I replaced like for like.
Cold start injector system isn't plumbed in as previous owner said it didn't work (Or it ran poorly on start up, so was disconnected). I left this disconnected after the rebuild with the intention of looking at it in the future.

I have a Bentley and Haynes manual, but my engine mechanical knowledge is very limited. (I can undo bolts and re-fit them with ease but engines are another thing).

I started the car yesterday, it started first time, but struggled to maintain any decent idle and then just wanted to cut out all the time. I can almost keep it running for longer at 2-3000 rpm.

I 'm edging towards everyone's thoughts that it could be fuel related, I'll have to spend some time re-checking the fuel lines (to see that they are in the correct positions)

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 8th April 2019 - 3:20pm

Have you got & read the D-Jetronic workshop manual ? In there it explains the function of each component.

Usual suspects on FI are wrong fuel pressure, faulty temperature sensors, bad electrical connections.

The fact it starts when cold, then won't idle when warm would have me looking at electrical connections for sign of heat breakdown and temperature senders. If the temp reads too cold, then the mixture is richened which is OK for cold start, but then too rich when warm. Is there black smoke ?
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 8th April 2019 - 4:09pm

Could well be on to something as the original issue was an electrical connection issue.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12009&p=67116#p67074

I still think you would be as well to take it for a test drive. They aren't supposed to be left idling to too long, you may find simply blowing the cobwebs out will do it no end of good.
The sultan of swing

muddy

Post by muddy » 8th April 2019 - 8:38pm

937carrera wrote:
8th April 2019 - 3:20pm
Have you got & read the D-Jetronic workshop manual ? In there it explains the function of each component.

Usual suspects on FI are wrong fuel pressure, faulty temperature sensors, bad electrical connections.

The fact it starts when cold, then won't idle when warm would have me looking at electrical connections for sign of heat breakdown and temperature senders. If the temp reads too cold, then the mixture is richened which is OK for cold start, but then too rich when warm. Is there black smoke ?
I think I need to dedicate some time to fault finding. I've got the d-Jetronic manual downloaded so I'll have a look through that.

A blast out might do it some good too.

carlosfandango

Post by carlosfandango » 14th February 2022 - 11:04am

muddy wrote:
8th April 2019 - 8:38pm
937carrera wrote:
8th April 2019 - 3:20pm

I think I need to dedicate some time to fault finding. I've got the d-Jetronic manual downloaded so I'll have a look through that.

A blast out might do it some good too.
Hi, I'm new here, just bought a 69 FI square over from the US.

I'm having some issues with the engine stalling/cutting out after it's run for 10 minutes or so.

Just doing some research and came across this thread which sounded similar. Did you trace the issue?

The cold start has been disabled on my car, the previous owners had trouble sourcing a reliable one. Wondering if it's part of the issue on mine. Idle is proving difficult to stablise, seem to move around a bit after each run.
Carl

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 15th February 2022 - 7:26am

Craig has since sold the car, But the answer can be found here in this build thread.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12009&start=100#p68195

It was more of the same, cleaning electrical connectors.
The sultan of swing