It’s good to be here

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
Louie2shoes

It’s good to be here

Post by Louie2shoes » 25th October 2021 - 9:57pm

Hi everyone,

Just recently purchased an imported 71 Fastback from California and am just waiting for all of the first registration to be confirmed (fingers crossed!). This is not my first type 3; in fact I had a 67 Fastback when I was in my teens, but sadly never got it on the road. So, I’m super excited to own one again and can’t wait to get it on the road!

https://flic.kr/p/2mEgxRV

I’m sure I will have lots of questions to ask along the way, and from what I’ve already read, I’m in good hands! I guess my first question would be about window rubbers. As you can see, the car has been fitted with one-piece door windows, which I know were popular in the 90’s, but I can’t seem to find anyone selling replacement parts for type 3’s. Basically the felt runners have had it and the rubber scrapers are brittle. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone that sells these parts (would a beetle kit fit?). Or, do I just buy quarter lights and take it back to stock? I quite like the fact it’s a Cal-look car from California, so half tempted to keep it as it is, providing I can get what I need!

Thanks in advance :)

purplepeter

Re: It’s good to be here

Post by purplepeter » 26th October 2021 - 9:03am

Welcome!
Where in the world are you?

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 26th October 2021 - 10:58am

Welcome! for most rubber parts see Simon Kelley who is Notch1500 on ebay.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/notch1500vwp ... 7675.l2563

or if you're on facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/notch1500
Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

jmarkha1

Post by jmarkha1 » 26th October 2021 - 12:51pm

you can buy the inner and outer window scrapers by the metre and the felt channel from places like https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/ - that will allow you to get everything watertight for the UK climate. Nice purchase - hopefully coming from cali it will be solid underneath - time to protect it before the salt gets it - enjoy...
The variant Project

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 26th October 2021 - 5:10pm

Welcome, that looks a good clean starting point! You'll find that general service items are interchangeable with beetle. But body work stuff is almost always type 3 specific. As above, Simon is good for rubber parts.

VWHeritage do some type 3 bits, ive had good experiences with Coolair. Then outside of the UK, ISPwest are good, T3HQ, and another one on the continent. But the name escapes me atm.
The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 26th October 2021 - 6:00pm

I don't think he's in UK chaps, hence the question!

Louie2shoes

Post by Louie2shoes » 26th October 2021 - 10:06pm

Cheers for all the replies everyone. I’m based in Oxfordshire but it’s good to hear that there are a good few places I can pick up some bits from.

Danny - cheers for the eBay suggestion. I’ve actually found a few other seals that he’s selling by coincidence. (Danny, we’ve also been chatting recently on Messenger about a license light - hi!).

Jmarkha1, Broady_6 - thanks for those. I’ve previously had parts from Heritage and I’m familiar with ISP, but need to investigate the rest. Could be fruitful!

Overall the car is pretty solid. Chassis, pans, sills etc are spotless and never been repaired, but some of the bodywork needs attention. Either side of the rear window is bad, but isn’t rotted right through to the inside or inner wings. Looks like it’s had a bit of a front end prang at some point and also looks like someone has shaved the front valance (badly) where the numberplate goes. Interior is still original but ravaged by the Californian sunshine! Front seats and dash are badly cracked and front door cards had house speakers fitted (I kid you not!).

Although it’s not to everyone’s taste, I love the patina look, so will try and preserve the exterior a bit but mainly leave as is.I’m not sure how far to go with the interior. I don’t mind it looking old and weathered but I don’t want bits of cracked vinyl stuck to my arse either! :lol: I want it to look nice but as unmolested as possible. What are your views?

Engine looks to be original and still running FI. It doesn’t start but turns over ok. I’ve ordered some standard service parts to see what difference that makes but will start looking at fueling next. I gather the fuels pumps can be a bit iffy on these.

Anyway, I digress! Really excited to be where I am right. I feel like a kid in a toy shop! :lol: I know it’s going to be a while before I hit the open road and I’m fine with that. Thanks again everyone!