You need to act now to preserve your freedom of movement and right to own a car

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
ABD

You need to act now to preserve your freedom of movement and right to own a car

Post by ABD » 22nd July 2020 - 9:17pm

There is a government consultation underway at the moment, which is a direct consequence of the commitment to Net Zero and the Climate Change Act 2008.

This in itself does not sound very exciting or contentious, except it is. The proposals being made as part of the wider policy response are far reaching and while it is ostensibly about stopping the sale of petrol diesel and hybrid cars within 15 years or less, it will change our way of life. For example:

· The whole concept of car ownership is being rejected. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a diesel, petrol, hybrid or completely electric. The view being expressed is that car ownership is incompatible with decarbonisation.
· Public transport is to be the solution, along with “active travel”. That may be part of the transport mix in large cities, but what about the rest of the country? Just to avoid confusion active travel means walking and cycling
· Some councils intend to ban private cars from roads that pass through their area. This will destroy any concept of a national road network and prevent your right to move around the whole country.
· They want to encourage “shared ownership”, in other words car pools of probably distinctly poor quality cars, and heaven forbid if you want to do something different like outdoor pursuits that involve things like towing, carrying large items, going off road
· The consequence of all this is that your freedom of movement is going to be severely constrained, but no-one wants to say this in plain and simple language. UK flights are likely to be eliminated, international travel for holidays severely constrained or rationed……. Unless of course you are mega rich and can afford the penal taxes that will likely come along, it will be like winding the clock back about 110 years .

Life is likely to become more like a permanent Covid lockdown, with climate serfdom meaning you have no “need” to travel far for work, or for pleasure, or to visit distant friends and relations.

If you care about these things, you need to do something NOW to voice your opinion. Please don’t take the view that it won’t affect me, because it will, it will affect your children and grandchildren too. None of this was promoted widely in the recent general election, were you asked if this is the world you wanted?

The consultation ends on 31st July please visit https://www.abd.org.uk/abd-response-to- ... ybrid-ban/ to learn more, then support this petition https://www.abd.org.uk/net-zero-petition/ and then respond to the consultation at https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... s-and-vans

If on the other hand, you are happy with the proposals, then that’s fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but please allow others to voice theirs freely as well.

Thanks for your support

Rob 400e

Re: You need to act now to preserve your freedom of movement and right to own a car

Post by Rob 400e » 24th July 2020 - 8:58pm

Wow!! I knew most cities and large towns were heading for LEZ zones, but I thought that was another way for them to empty your bank account. This is serious I’m getting on it.
Type 411 Le four door auto .

937carrera

Re: You need to act now to preserve your freedom of movement and right to own a car

Post by 937carrera » 30th July 2020 - 4:58pm

Me too, I have just submitted my response to the consultation, the deadline is tomorrow so I just sneaked in.
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon