Vintage Voltage

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
s.unsworth

Vintage Voltage

Post by s.unsworth » 28th June 2020 - 12:03pm

Apologies if there’s a Thread already posted on this.

Did everyone watch Vintage Voltage last week ? It was repeated this morning. Converting a Karmann Ghia to Electric.

I emailed them to ask how they could Convert the Type 3 Automatic Variant to Electric when the Automatic Transmission uses Manifold Vacuum as one of the determining factors for when to change gear. The answer was they could only do it by also Converting it to Manual Transmission. I did think that would have to be the case. The whole job would start at about £30,000 !

Steve

kaddy

Re: Vintage Voltage

Post by kaddy » 28th June 2020 - 12:55pm

Part of the buzz about owning a vw classic, is the engine note...sweet.

What would you have with electric..........................nowt.

Definitely not for me.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 28th June 2020 - 4:14pm

Not a program im awear of. But I agree with kaddy, for me car are about the sights, the sounds and the smells. Make it electric and you loose 2 our of 3. Then you may as well park them in a museum for me.
The sultan of swing

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 28th June 2020 - 4:48pm

Apart from the expensive price tag. You could go on some spending spree with 30k into
the classic Vw's. Type 34 would then be top of the list for me.

And by the time all the batteries, reinforcing ect is done. Would the fasty be spacious and
as useable as it would be before the conversion.

richtbiscuits

Post by richtbiscuits » 28th June 2020 - 7:40pm

I saw Vintage Voltage and couldn't believe how many batteries went in. I wondered where the spare wheel and small luggage go now. I suppose battery technology will improve and batteries will get smaller but I have to agree with broady, sound and smell is very much part of driving old vdubs - I don't even have a radio because I love that flat four noise! Still each to their own, it's just another customisation and if that's what an owner wants to do then fair enough.
'72 412 LE Variant
'73 412 LE Variant
'83 1200 Beetle

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 30th June 2020 - 7:16pm

Don’t have a Radio in the 1966 Beetle. There is a Blaupunkt Radio in the Type 3 Auto Variant. It was already fitted when I bought the car in 1988. Fitted a new good quality Aerial on the Wing after the Body Off rebuild. Still don’t use the Radio.

I’m just worried our Petrol Engines may be banned from the roads at some point.

Rob 400e

Post by Rob 400e » 3rd July 2020 - 4:52pm

One other thing regarding electric you lose your historic status. I’m assuming road tax would be nil anyway but you would be looking at MOT for sure. Can’t remember where I read that but I didn’t dream it.
Type 411 Le four door auto .

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 4th July 2020 - 9:32am

Dont want to retread old group. But electric is not hte future, a mixture of all power trains is the future, by application. Banning classic cars is a drop in the ocean compared to dirty greaty HGVs foing 5mpg ect.

For the truely concerned, voice a rational opion here about how stupid an out right ban is. There isnt the natural resouce to produce enough batteries for the volume of cars today. Ect ect.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... s-and-vans

You probably wouldnt need an MOT, if it was carried out carefully. VSOA 8 point system. Its possible to do it and comply. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles

And dont be fooled, tax is coming for electric vehciles. "free tax" is just the dangly carrot to entice people in.
The sultan of swing