How are we all?

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
broady_6

How are we all?

Post by broady_6 » 12th May 2020 - 8:06am

As were a little support comunity for our own special mental illness. I thought id checkin and see how you all are after 7 weeks or travel restrictions. Have it changed things much for you? It hasnt made much difference at all to me, so I count myself very lucky. Any positives to take away from it? More free time to refine that lovely ole VW? Reaarange the garage? Or just getting a few extra beers drunk while you arent driving much?

Cheers
The sultan of swing

sparkywig

Re: How are we all?

Post by sparkywig » 12th May 2020 - 1:11pm

I haven't worked for the last 8 weeks, and been unable to work on any of my vehicles. Not that they need anything major, so have just been driven regularly for "essential" journeys.
Been pottering around the house and garden doing a few jobs. I really hate decorating.
To be honest I'm struggling a little, and have an uncertain future regarding any work.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 13th May 2020 - 9:06am

All is well here in Bath, Thank You!
I promised myself that as II won't be driving Fasty this year, I'd get on with some little bits & bobs, but so far haven't managed to do anything other than a quick wash just before lockdown & several occasions of backing her out of the garage to siphon fuel for the garden/ to use the garage as workshop

Just before lockdown I took on a neighbours garden as an allotment & it's massive, so I've been busy with both gardens

Also, just before lockdown, we collected a new golf sv, which is sitting outside the house getting dusty. Caroline is a bit miffed that she hasn't actually driven it yet, even though it's her car!- I had to drive it home from Bristol vw as she doesn't like Bristol traffic & then I had to rush round before lockdown buying everything we needed for the garden, so it's snoozing outside with 25 miles on the clock! Went to start it a couple of days ago & discovered a half bag of wine gums in the dash, so it might be getting more regular start ups!

richtbiscuits

Post by richtbiscuits » 14th May 2020 - 11:21pm

Me and the family are good. My missus is working from home and the kids find enough to do. My boy has learned to ride his bike. Trying to get back into work as I've been off five weeks and, once I've finished the bathroom, I'll only have the outside of the house to paint so need to go back! I've stripped out the engine bay (engine wasn't there to start with), all the electrics, unsplit dash and steering column from my scrappy old 412 and found there's really not much left in the way of a floor or bulkhead or sills. Next up is a frame to sit it on so I can strip the running gear. Getting a bit too fat too!
'72 412 LE Variant
'73 412 LE Variant
'83 1200 Beetle

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 17th May 2020 - 9:30am

Sparkywig, Struggling mentally? whats causing the employment uncertainty, other than the obvious? Bussiness unable to take the strain, or get the support required? No procedures that can be put in place to enable you to work safely? Hopefully we can help you in one way or another. Give you a pick me up. I beleive my fasty will be in practical classics in next months issue. Something to look forwards too :D :D

Peter, pleased to hear you are well. Certainly had the right weather to take on an alotment. I too have put a lot of effort into the garden this year and got a lot of nice food on the grow. Do make a start on the fasty! You have the ultimate excuse and then have it out rolling for the bit 60 next year. :D

Richt, I hope you have been furloughed rathat than time off unpaid? Sounds like you are putting the time to good use. I envy you, its exactly the sort of list I had written when it looked like I would be on furlough. Sounds like the kids are lapping it up too. One day I must get this sill down to you. I think it will on this summers to do list once I can travel a bit more freely.
The sultan of swing

richtbiscuits

Post by richtbiscuits » 25th May 2020 - 5:07pm

Broady, yes a very busy list. Bathroom turned out to be way more work than I'd hoped so 412 work has all but stopped. Managed to get myself taken off the highly vulnerable list so as soon as the paperwork comes through I'm going back to work. I've have been furloughed so not lost out financially but still feel I should be there doing my bit. I'd almost forgotten about that sill panel so yes, we must sort it out if possible this summer. A bit of time to mooch over some old VW's as well! Hope you and yours are all well and keeping happy.
'72 412 LE Variant
'73 412 LE Variant
'83 1200 Beetle