Serious work on 68 square.

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
sbannatyne

Serious work on 68 square.

Post by sbannatyne » 14th April 2013 - 1:11pm

Hi All,
Just wanted to share this with the forum, Im new to this, though my first motor was a 72 fastback when I was 18. I have hankered after an early square RHD with sunroof. This 68 square came up and I jumped on it. Well its been with T3D for a while now and the list of what needs to be cut out is greater than the list of what is to be kept! Its no sweat, I spent my late teens with my Dad who was a body man, and I have seen worse get back on the road...plus there are not many of these left so I see it as a good thing to do.

So the latest image is with some the rot cut away at the front end, the T3D team are now into it.

Thoughts and ideas most welcome, and maybe stories of cars in worse condition surviving (the bottom 6 inches are due to be replaced)

Thanks,
Steve

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7572308@N0 ... 3238605283

miketyp3

Re: Serious work on 68 square.

Post by miketyp3 » 3rd May 2013 - 5:42pm

From those few pics it doesn't look too bad...
If the there's something left of the heater channels and some floor edges then for a UK car its about as good a basis for a resto as you'll find.
Unlike my RHD 1500S Sunroof Notch... :roll: which has so far had the following:-

Complete front panel (good used & repaired)
Spare wheel bulkhead complete (NOS)
Both front quarters complete (NOS)
Both fuel tank supports (NOS)
Repairs to front scuttle (Hand made sections)
Heater channels both sides (NOS)
Outer sills both sides (Repro)
Heater channel forward dog legs both sides (NOS)
Complete Rear parcel shelf and rear scuttle (Good used)
Large repairs to both rear quarters (sections from NOS panels and some hand made sections)
Repairs to under seat area (hand made sections)
Repairs to engine bay (hand made sections)
Repairs to sunroof apperture (hand made sections)
Bonnet (used)
Both Front wings (good used & repaired)
Both doors (NOS 67 parts reworked to fit and look correct)
Both rear wings (NOS)
Complete floor pan (Repro)
Both jacking points (NOS)
Extensive frame head repairs (using a good donor)
Repairs to rear subframe mounting (using good donor)
Replacement rear subframe (used) - yes even that was rotten!
Replacement front axle (NOS)

Add to that lot it wasn't particularly original either, so I have needed to source stuff like a complete interior.

Now, that's a project!

I'm sure whatever it takes to do yours it will be worth it.
RHD sunroof cars seem quite rare, early ones especially - it will be great to see another one back on the road. :)

Best of luck, Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

sbannatyne

Post by sbannatyne » 25th May 2013 - 11:07pm

Thanks Mike,

its all now in perspective....thats quite a list you've got there.

I have'nt thought as far as interior as yet, but probably just new carpets and a good clean, engine and gearbox are strong, im really hoping to get it back in the summer all welded and running, then look to respray early next year.

Thanks again!

Steve

Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward » 25th July 2013 - 6:28pm

wow my old square i used to have a few years back! sold it to mt friend in lee on solent but his wife made him sell it :roll: :(

will look forward to seeing the square all back to better than new once T3D have worked there magic 8)
Paul and Kat

sbannatyne

Post by sbannatyne » 30th July 2013 - 9:30pm

Thanks for the pics Paul,

you may well have seen the picture on T3D Facebook page, with the lower right back gone.... I think only one wing will be kept at this point, I have just agreed to replace the front wings. The car was not in great condition when I bought it, and after blasting most of the bottom 6 inches turned to powder...... but rather than patch up I thought it best to go down the more extreme route of replacing sections. I want this to be a keeper, and with fewer of the sunroof versions about it felt like the right thing to do.
It will be a long game, I don't see it being fully finished until the end of next year, i need to decide on keeping the original colour or changing it.....

watch this space

Thanks

Steve