'73 Fastback Project

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
nitro_warrior

Re: '73 Fastback Project

Post by nitro_warrior » 24th June 2020 - 7:56pm

broady_6 wrote:
22nd June 2020 - 11:18pm
In your above post "Outer Rocker Panel" and "Sill Section" are the same panel. Just one is longer than the other. Rather than 1 being inner and 1 being outter.

Have a look through here, i took hundreds of photos.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3094&start=300#p62015

Start here and work forward to see the sills built up.
Thanks. That is really obvious now you have highlighted that! Your build photos will be really helpful too. Looking at your pictures, I realise one (another) area I don't know anything about is the heater pipe routes and cables. They were all disconected when I got my car so I don't know the air routes or where the cables go or where the controls go. I think your pictures will definitly help with that.
VW Type 3 Fastback
2x Fiat Panda 4x4

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 27th June 2020 - 11:19pm

Any questions, just ask. Huge pool of knowledge on here
The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 5th July 2020 - 9:29am

I don't think I've seen anyone producing a web panel & most just assume that the sill is the same as a beetle
There's a copy of that diagram somewhere with dimensions added
Werk34 produce some very nice panels https://www.werk34.de/en/air-cooled/typ ... /car-body/ , as does Konny https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/typ3konny.
Broady has already mentioned Mario at T3HQ
Theres a sticky here for you to read viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14670
I'd recommend an evening or 2 just looking at all of the different suppliers so you can form your own ideas of where to spend your pennies
One other source that's always overlooked is the club itself- drop an email to Editor !
Welcome back by the way!

And as an afterthought, seek out Rhod Grubb seeing as you're local to him- He used to make some nice panels, but I haven't heard of him in the last couple of years

nitro_warrior

Post by nitro_warrior » 6th August 2020 - 10:42pm

Thanks for those links. I have bitten the bullet and order some bits. Will take some time off later in the month when they arrive to weld it all up.
What is everyone's preference for painting? I would normally use a zinc primer and underseal but open to ideas.
VW Type 3 Fastback
2x Fiat Panda 4x4

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 8th August 2020 - 11:16am

Dont used underseal, its a silent killer! clean all the well and then seal the welds with tiger seal. Once thats cured over paint with something like upol raptor epoxy primer.

https://www.u-pol.com/uk/en-uk/product/ ... y56pyhKi70

If you cant afford, dont have facilitys. Then tiger seal the welds paint with a good rust inhibiting paint, such as POR15. Then rust proof with dinitrol 4941
The sultan of swing

nitro_warrior

Post by nitro_warrior » 25th September 2020 - 9:54am

Started welding in new metal this week. Thanks for the input on painting - I have a compressor but no airfed mask so I shy away from 2k paints so will go for option two.

One problem I have is the flaps, controls, and wires for the heating air. I got the car as a bare shell with boxes of bits and with no aircooled experience have little idea of what goes where. Are there any good diagrams of the control wires and levers etc? Also what is the cable that is used, anyone out there that sell it for T3s or will I need to make my own?
VW Type 3 Fastback
2x Fiat Panda 4x4

muddy

Post by muddy » 28th September 2020 - 6:13pm

broady_6 wrote:
8th August 2020 - 11:16am
Dont used underseal, its a silent killer! clean all the well and then seal the welds with tiger seal. Once thats cured over paint with something like upol raptor epoxy primer.

https://www.u-pol.com/uk/en-uk/product/ ... y56pyhKi70

If you cant afford, dont have facilitys. Then tiger seal the welds paint with a good rust inhibiting paint, such as POR15. Then rust proof with dinitrol 4941
As broady says, tiger seal welds. I went hole hog, etched metal with POR 15 metal prep, prepped with POR15 paint protection, then UPOL gravitex (Great stuff) and then 2 coats of gloss black.

Although POR15 isn't cheap either to be fair.
1971 VW Type 3 1600 TE Fastback. Body off Resto completed, now just bits and pieces and niff naff to do.
Volksworld Magazine featured car 2013
Instagram: @type3.fastback

nitro_warrior

Post by nitro_warrior » 29th September 2020 - 11:46am

I have used PO15 on leaking fuel tanks with some good results. Though after the minefield of googling paints and on the point of hitting order on POR15 I have actually gone for Corroless base and top coat. Bit cheaper than the POR15 stuff but seems fairly well recieved and comes from an offshore oil and gas heritage which feels like a good start. Haven't order the stonechip layer yet though, the Gravitex looks like a nice finish, looks similar to the Dinitrol 4941. Might see what the Corroless topcoat looks like before I commit.

Still have a few tub repairs to do, but its not far away from needing paint.
VW Type 3 Fastback
2x Fiat Panda 4x4

nitro_warrior

Post by nitro_warrior » 9th October 2020 - 1:42pm

I'm trying to track down some new heater tubing. I read somewhere on here (can't find it now) that the heater tube is 50mm diameter 20 gauge (~1 mm). My local metal merchant is relocating just now and don't have anything, I'm struggling to find online supplier that will do 50mm tube that thin. Any recomendations?
VW Type 3 Fastback
2x Fiat Panda 4x4

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 11th October 2020 - 5:54pm

The heater cables are fairly self explanitory when you get into it. The two levers near the hand brake. Both have twin cables, one goes through the tunel to the heat exchangers, the other pops out under the rear seat to control the flaps in the rear foot well. The front foot well flaps are controled from the sliders on the A pillars.

Which heater tuning are you after? flexi stuff that connected the heat exchangers too the body, or the ridgid stuff that runs inside the sills?
The sultan of swing

nitro_warrior

Post by nitro_warrior » 16th October 2020 - 9:19am

broady_6 wrote:
11th October 2020 - 5:54pm
The heater cables are fairly self explanitory when you get into it. The two levers near the hand break. Both have twin cables, one goes through the tunel to the heat exchangers, the other pops out under the rear seat to control the flaps in the rear foot well. The front foot well flaps are controled from the sliders on the A pillars.

Which heater tuning are you after? flexi stuff that connected the heat exchangers too the body, or the ridgid stuff that runs inside the sills?
It's the rigid heater tubing that runs inside the sills. I have bought some 1.5 mm gauge tube, I figure what's a little more weight.

I don't quite follow the front foot well flaps. Don't suppose there is a picture out there somewhere? Also what is the cable tube across the footwells for? See pic. I thought they were for the footwell flaps?
VW Type 3 Fastback
2x Fiat Panda 4x4

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 18th October 2020 - 7:01pm

Not something ive seen before, my car has the foot well flaps and control entirely contained in the body.

Bit of detail here, Hope it helps.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3094&start=300#p62015
The sultan of swing