Furious Fastback

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
Rhysos

Furious Fastback

Post by Rhysos » 26th March 2024 - 1:23pm

Hi all, Rhys here. I’m new to the forum, but not to aircooled VW’s and you may have occasionally seen me pop up over on the VZi and The Samba forums. I've recently become the proud owner of a 1972 1600 TA (purchased June last year), so I figured that it would be beneficial to connect with other Type 3 owners:

IMG_2883.JPG
IMG_2883.JPG (201.24 KiB) Viewed 302 times
So, my ride happens to be a VolksWorld ex-feature car from back in the day (Nov 2000):

IMG_6132.jpg
IMG_6132.jpg (226.72 KiB) Viewed 302 times
The car is far more sedate than it was back then and no longer has the 2165cc stomper, so the 'Furious' tag probably no longer applies :lol: It’s a rolling project with plenty of things to fix, but it is exactly what I was seeking; solid, running and peppered with battle scars:

IMG_2831.jpg
IMG_2831.jpg (193.77 KiB) Viewed 302 times
My first car was actually a 1965 Beetle, which I got just after passing my driving test almost 25 years ago. I still have it, but it is under looong-term restoration. Since I laid up my bug I had been feeling a growing desire to be back behind the wheel of an old dub. Type 3’s have always held a curious appeal and although I like all of the body types, the Fastback speaks to me. When I laid eyes on it, I just knew this one was for me! I've been loving getting to know this car whist working my way through the lengthy snagging list. It seems to be running sweet now, so hoping to put some miles on it this year.

Hopefully meet some of you out at the shows and/or cruises! I live in Bristol, so feel free to tap me up if you are local 8)

broady_6

Re: Furious Fastback

Post by broady_6 » 26th March 2024 - 9:45pm

Welcome to the club, great to see another one kept alive!
The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 27th March 2024 - 8:32am

Welcome! I seem to recognise your reg, it'll come to me eventually where from!
I'm in Oldfield park in Bath, so not a million miles away, Which part of Bristol are You in?
There are quite a few Type 3's in & around: Larry & Lin Collins are kinda Kingswood area, Paul Dickinson is on the Wellsway & Dave our Editor, is in Pensford, Then theres Kim apted & Corndog Ben & a rough looking yellow square that floats around, but I haven't seen those last 3 for donkeys years!

Rhysos

Post by Rhysos » 27th March 2024 - 10:05am

broady_6 wrote:
26th March 2024 - 9:45pm
Welcome to the club, great to see another one kept alive!
Thanks for the welcome Broady - I have learned a lot from your epic build. Most impressive :thumbsup:
purplepeter wrote:
27th March 2024 - 8:32am
Welcome! I seem to recognise your reg, it'll come to me eventually where from!
I'm in Oldfield park in Bath, so not a million miles away, Which part of Bristol are You in?
There are quite a few Type 3's in & around: Larry & Lin Collins are kinda Kingswood area, Paul Dickinson is on the Wellsway & Dave our Editor, is in Pensford, Then theres Kim apted & Corndog Ben & a rough looking yellow square that floats around, but I haven't seen those last 3 for donkeys years!
I'm actually in Kingswood myself, so not far from you! I also know of a fella just who lives up the road from me who has an impeccable early blue notch. Maybe a summertime convoy cruise to local aircooled/classic car shows would be fun given that a few of us are in the Bristol/Bath area? I will put a shout out in the 'events diary' section of the forum whenever I have something lined up.

My Fasty has changed hands a number of times over the years, so no doubt you have come across it before. In fact, it has appeared on this very forum several times before as I have just come across this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2262 and also this viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7011 whilst browsing the 'members cars'.

Also, I believe it used to visit the drag strip way back when it had a big motor in it, but I haven't found any photos/videos of this. Be good to see it back in its 'furious' years though! I'll be sticking with the stock 1600 that's currently in it though - I like my cars 'low and slow' 8)
Last edited by Rhysos on 27th March 2024 - 11:55pm, edited 2 times in total.

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 27th March 2024 - 5:11pm

😎 🤙
Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

Rhysos

Post by Rhysos » 28th March 2024 - 12:38pm

As I now have a dedicated thread, I will add occasionally add some posts of the work I have done so far. First up was to replace a defunct alternator. This became apparent when I was whizzing down the local ring road and then without warning the engine power significantly decreased and rapidly quit on me at 50mph. Manage to coast the car over to the hard shoulder and got her going again with a spare battery. I investigated and found that the alternator wasn’t putting out any charge and so the car was entirely running off the battery. I pulled the existing alternator, but wasn’t able to revive it:

IMG_5733.jpg
IMG_5733.jpg (333.97 KiB) Viewed 253 times

Looking around for a suitable replacement, I noted that a lot of folk were using Nippon/Kubota units, commonly fitted to forklift trucks. Their low profile makes them ideal for fitting under the engine hatch. I fabricated some brackets and fitted up the new alternator, it's only a 40amp unit but seems to do its job well.

IMG_2640.jpg
IMG_2640.jpg (379 KiB) Viewed 253 times

Whilst I was at it, I made a custom repair to the fan shroud cover. I decided not to recreate the hump of the original, but just closed up the gap the best I could to prevent the cool air escaping:

IMG_6144.jpg
IMG_6144.jpg (312.08 KiB) Viewed 253 times

All works well and it looks far neater now 8)

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 30th March 2024 - 7:58am

Certainly tidied that up well. If you can add a seal to that, it wil help you a lot in summer. Currently your cooling fan will be able to draw in hot air from the engine bay. Even if you just bond some rubber flaps as best you can, it will reduce the amount of hot air sucked in. Theres also the grommit missing from the timing light hole and your intake boot for the airfilter looks split. Thanks to some helpful folk, these are now available again!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202896668159

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362562680259

And ive just noticed this sleeve missing too. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202648761638

Please to see you getting stuck in, hope these help!
The sultan of swing

Rhysos

Post by Rhysos » 31st March 2024 - 12:53am

Thanks for the advice Broady, that’s what I appreciate about forums. I will give some more thought and see about getting a tighter seal around the cover. Small improvements no doubt yield big gains when it comes to a cooling running pancake engine.

I wasn’t aware of the sleeve that should be positioned over the joint in the air cleaner, makes good sense though. The concertina rubber boot has certainly seen better days, so I will also put these items on my shopping list.

I had actually already sorted the timing inspection hole, which looked like it had been mangled with a screwdriver in a past life:

IMG_3814.jpg
IMG_3814.jpg (278.02 KiB) Viewed 232 times
IMG_3815.jpg
IMG_3815.jpg (275.22 KiB) Viewed 232 times
Fitted up the same grommit that you linked to below:

IMG_6137.jpg
IMG_6137.jpg (295.07 KiB) Viewed 232 times

Even minor jobs like this are satisfying – small victories!

Rhysos

Post by Rhysos » 31st March 2024 - 12:57am

Also, the car is running J-tubes, so with no OG heating components fitted I sealed up both ends of the fan shroud with delete bungs to replace the gaffer tape that previously did this duty:

IMG_6138.jpg
IMG_6138.jpg (231.79 KiB) Viewed 232 times

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 7th April 2024 - 9:40am

Good work, nice to see someone wise to the cooling requirements
The sultan of swing

Rhysos

Post by Rhysos » 26th April 2024 - 11:04am

Since owning the Fasty I have experienced sporadic hard starting and fuel flow issues. These have all been addressed: kink in the rubber fuel line restricting flow, debris in the fuel line impeding flow and also defective mechanical pump diaphragm. I suspect this was the reason that the engine case previously filled with fuel! I don’t have a lot of faith in the generic aftermarket pumps, both in terms of reliability and the fact that the pressure is always set too high.

As a result of my continued struggle, I decided to fit up a Carter electric rotary pump (model: P90091). They generally have a good reputation and produce a suitable pressure, around 3.5psi:

IMG_3891.jpg
IMG_3891.jpg (254.15 KiB) Viewed 41 times

I wired in a safety relay circuit, which cuts fuel flow in the event of an incident (credit to Mr Whippy over on VZi for the schematic):

IMG_3939.jpg
IMG_3939.jpg (289.52 KiB) Viewed 41 times

I mounted the pump up under the tank and behind the beam with robust jubilee clips:

IMG_3941.jpg
IMG_3941.jpg (322.28 KiB) Viewed 41 times

I also have the luxury of a carb prime push button, which means less cranking to get her to fire when cold starting. It has proved to be a decent and, so far, reliable upgrade. I still need to put a blanking plate over the old pump location, but for the time being the old decommissioned pump has been left in place.