Mikes 65 1500S Squareback

Post your Type 3 Photo URLs here
topnotch

Mikes 65 1500S Squareback

Post by topnotch » 6th June 2010 - 10:59pm

Hi - Have been getting bit of advice round here on the 65 squareback a bought a couple of weeks back. I`m not all new to type 3s having owned a 64 ruby red notchback a couple of years ago when i posted on here quite regularly.

Anyway 8) - let me introduce you to Matilda!

She`s a 1965 1500S Pearl White Squareback - imported from Oz last year by the previous owner. I bought her a couple of weeks back - she`s needed a bit of TLC - some welding to the floorpans where i think water must have leaked in through the perished pop out seals and puddled under the sound proofing! Apart from that, she`s very solid - needed a new clutch cable and gears sorting, some seat belts, horn fixing, a bit of cracked paint sorting out,some 6v-12v converson stuff finishing off properly but not much else luckilly :)

This is my daily driver doing a 60 mile round trip - look out for me between weymouth and yeovil.

She was slammed right down when i got her - couldn`t even get the jack underneath! I`ve raised the rear an outer spline but have left the front for the time being - might have to get some larger tyres which`ll raise it an inch. If i adjust the suspension now, it`ll look silly with such small tyres on!!

A nice discovery was that the engine is the original 1500S engine that was fitted to the car from new - completely stock twin carbs,etc apart from the exhaust of unknown design which sounds great but it has a large hole in it (currently repaired with a coke can until i find a donor vw exhaust to cut the ends off!). It goes really well and even with the large hole in the exhaust i calculated i `m getting 34mpg which isn`t bad at all :) I also noticed on the back valance next to the oil filler several notes in stickers and marker pen of various services and oil changes which include the mileage. On the speedo is currently reads 68k - the notes go back to the mid 90s and 48k - i doubt 68k is the original from new mileage but it`d be nice to think so!

There`s a few things i noticed which are a bit unusual - the seats are the original bases - i know as i`ve had a 64 notch before, but i` not sur eif the coverings are original or have been recovered - they are in a sort of red leather which is really comfy. Also, where the heat exchangers pipes connect to the body there is a sort of heater box (on both sides) with another pipe and a thermostat similiar to the one on the engine fitted - never seen one of then before - maybe an aussie fitment?

Anyway - really need to get some pics up!

Its hip to be square!

Editor

Re: Mikes 65 1500S Squareback

Post by Editor » 7th June 2010 - 12:18am

The thermostats on the heater system is usual on the later ones - the cold-air bleed mixes with the hot air depending on its temperature to give an even temp inside. Much more sophisticated than the Beetle! Those 1500S heaters were normally so hot it would melt rubber - I had some school kids in my 1500S driving back from the Boat Show, and one of them put the floor mat over the outlet rather than ask if I could turn it down a bit!
Dave.

topnotch

Post by topnotch » 7th June 2010 - 7:47am

i`ll have to get some pipes to connect the heat exchangers to the body before i can try the heaters.not sure if they`re the same as beetle ones?

i remember on my old 1500S notch, the heaters did work really well - hopefully these will too - they look like the original ones :)
Its hip to be square!

day

Post by day » 22nd June 2010 - 10:49am

ha,ha,ha... another mike with a 65 1500s, what are the chances?! :D

lovely looking motor.

:smoke:
i don't believe in many things... but a do believe in gaffer tape!

rustydubs

Post by rustydubs » 22nd June 2010 - 12:39pm

sweet motor

topnotch

Post by topnotch » 25th June 2010 - 9:26pm

cheers guys - have had to raise the front a spline as i was hitting the road too many times in my potholed villlage roads!

it doens`t look as bad as i thought but i need to get some slightly larger tyres to fill out the arches a bit.

broke down on the way home tonight briefly! THink there must be a local vw show on as i went flying past about 8 camper vans at about 70mph - about 10 miles down the road - i thought- mmmmm... i can smell petrol a bit. So i pulled over to have a look and it turned out the bolt that goes in the bottom of the float chamber on one carb and unscrewed itself and fallen out!

fuel was literally pumping in the top and straight out the bottom!! Couldn`t believe my luck when i saw it resting by the bottom of manifold - screwed t back in an tightend up properly. THought i`d better check the other carb and that one was loose too!

Meanwhile, the vans all drove past with one of them pipping their horns - what a div i looked like!

all fixed though!

think i need to find a proper 12v fuel guage dial as my 6v causes havoc with 12v electrics -switch the lights on and the fuel guage goes straight to full and the indicators have a mind of their own - sometimes working sometimes just buzzing at me - to do witht eh earth at the diel apparantly.
Its hip to be square!

Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward » 28th June 2010 - 6:21pm

very cool car 8) ....i saw this at the Holton classic last year, looks well solid!!,...see you at some shows eh :D

Paul n Kat
Paul and Kat

Editor

Post by Editor » 29th June 2010 - 9:16pm

The main jet covers should have a fibre washer under them - was that there?

One of the USA guys had that happen going across the near-desert in Wyoming on the first Type 3 invasion - luckily it was still there on the engine, like yours.
Dave.

gabrick

Post by gabrick » 30th September 2010 - 8:52pm

It looks kind of cool with the smashed down front. Maybe you could lower the whole thing a couple of inches and have a low rider.
I have a 412 and love doing restorations. I work on converting vehicles into wheelchair accessible vehicles.

ballbag

Post by ballbag » 24th May 2011 - 5:41am

Hey dude, I own this car now

Eccles

Post by Eccles » 24th May 2011 - 12:41pm

its a cool car at that too, i like the stance it has in these pics

ballbag

Post by ballbag » 19th June 2012 - 8:34pm

Here's what it looks like now mate :D

The indicators still do the same thing too :lol: I need to sort that

Jay

jordon

Squareback

Post by jordon » 25th May 2013 - 7:44pm

Hay I'm new to this game.. so a little help would not go a miss, can any one point me In the wright direction for a squareback to bye!!!! Iv loved dubs for year and I need a square in my life. Thanks Jordon.

Editor

Post by Editor » 26th May 2013 - 11:52am

Try a small ad in the wanted section here - and keep an eye on the cars for sale too. They will find you but it helps to make an effort for them, to show that you want them!

(Sorry - I'm in my anthropomorphic mood, but then I believe in Herbie too!)
Dave.

thorpey182

Post by thorpey182 » 29th May 2013 - 4:50pm

That looks lovely! Love the stance bud, awesome car.