Heating

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
412 Fasty

Heating

Post by 412 Fasty » 12th December 2011 - 11:47am

Hi all, finally got registred as on the registration form i was to much of a donut to see the new photo identification security thingy! :oops:

So now 5 weeks on into owning my beloved 412 ls fastback which i have painted and welded inner wings up on already, i can join you people!

I am only 21 and drive it every day, with winter looming just a few questions to ask....

Erbaspacher heater works faultlessly, problem is, as with standard heat exchanger heater their is hardly any flow at all to the front. Fan at rear works, and theirs no holes in any related pipes. Any hidden shut off flaps anywhere?

Any help would be great,

cheers, Rob.

shawn71

Re: Heating

Post by shawn71 » 12th December 2011 - 6:37pm

Do you get a reasonable amount of heat through when the car is moving? Mine isn't brilliant when stationary but when moving it gets hot by my feet or gives plenty of heat to defrost the windscreen once moving.

Thinking about it, on mine I might check the voltage to the rear fan just in case it isn't turning with the oooomph it should do...either way I digress...

If you look under the car, just forward of the rear wheels, you should be able to locate a cable on either side that opens the flaps at the rearmost end of the heater channel when you pull up the right hand lever between the seats. It's possible the cables have snapped there or they aren't opening these flaps enough. And a little tip, if you haven't done so already change the fuel line that feeds the Eber and double check the top end of the Eber exhaust for holes as either of these areas could result in a fire.

AND have you any pictures???
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay

412 Fasty

Post by 412 Fasty » 12th December 2011 - 9:42pm

Hi,

many thanks for the info, the heater flap to the rear sounds the most probable cause to be honest, i bet thats whats failed. Its just when the flaps move i can here the air being restricted, and then when set open it sounds as if it should be coming thro.....but it doesnt.

I am definately going to replace erba fuel lines as they are very brittle.

Photos are more than welcome, i am new and a bit of a computer novice but with guidence will upload some no problem.

it is known to the forum (loz had it last) but a lot of work has been done since.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Editor

Post by Editor » 13th December 2011 - 12:47am

Don't worry 412Fasty, you are not the first nor will you be the last to miss that picture panel when registering. Most think it's just an advert. but for that, I would be tearing my hair out nightly with having to delete the spam registrations. The robots have got round the normal distorted letters and numbers recognition.

Welcome to the group.
Dave.

412 Fasty

Post by 412 Fasty » 13th December 2011 - 1:01am

Haha, have to admit i did think it was an advert, As long as it does job tho.....

Thanks for warm welcome, glad to be a part of it all. Had beetles from been 15, (girlfriend runs one daily) but they are a thing of the past for me i'm afraid. I love my 412, the faces people pull when they see it are truly fantastic!

Cant wait for the shows now..

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 13th December 2011 - 5:31pm

Hope to see you at some shows in the New Year...I keep saying it but it would great to get several Type 4s in a line up somewhere, maybe next year?

kps70

Post by kps70 » 1st March 2012 - 8:44pm

Yeah - I'll be there Shawn at one or two of the shows too. Can come out of hibernation now the sun has come back and finish the small job on the 411 that turned massive!
K
Kieron

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 1st March 2012 - 11:03pm

How's that going Kieron?

kps70

Post by kps70 » 23rd March 2012 - 7:06pm

not bad - just one patch on the end of the sill as it enters the rear inner wing. Really just need a few hours of time. Been spending too much time in Bulgaria - every holiday since the summer!! Going again at the end of next week. I have bought all the paint to give her a bit of a tidy up too. Flippin 2 projects now ;-(
Kieron
Kieron