It's gone a bit stiff... 411 LE

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
jonny rock

It's gone a bit stiff... 411 LE

Post by jonny rock » 21st May 2011 - 1:36pm

Hi all, bit of a problem with my 1970 411 LE. Steering seems to be getting a bit stiff. Also, started to have a slight weaving when driving.
Anyone got any ideas as to what this might be and how to sort it out.
Many thanks, Jon

shawn71

Re: It's gone a bit stiff... 411 LE

Post by shawn71 » 21st May 2011 - 3:21pm

Could be the idler arm bushe is getting stiff from a bit corrossion. Mine has done this, but then I've got a bronze idler arm bush instead of the stock rubber one...

Although it could be something as simple as a low tyre pressure, I'm assuming you've checked this though.

But when you factor in the weaving when driving that sounds more like the steering damper is failing which would be the first thing I would check before moving onto the idler bush, other steering linkages and finally steering box.

Therefore pull you steering damper out and check that it slides in and out smoothly with a decent resistance and go from there, at least thats what I would do...

PS I've spoken lots to Bryan and Jane about Type 4s and they always speak highly of Ebbie, so glad to hear someone is using it daily and looking after it :)
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay

jonny rock

Post by jonny rock » 21st May 2011 - 3:51pm

Nice one Shawn. If I remember right, at the MOT, one of the trailing arm nuts was loose and was tightened up. Think it was that, I'll have to check. Since then shes gone a bit stiff. Will do as you sugguest and see what happens.
Been meaning to reg. on here for ages and even have once about eight months ago but lost my login stuff. So second time around.
Keep you posted, cheers Jon

kps70

Post by kps70 » 26th May 2011 - 6:10pm

Where are you based Jon? Need to get your car on the type world map
Kieron