Eberspacher exhaust - there seem to be 2 types

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
kps70

Eberspacher exhaust - there seem to be 2 types

Post by kps70 » 14th March 2011 - 6:33pm

I bought a NOS Eberspacher exhaust for a type 4 from purplepeter and was well chuffed, but guess what, it doesn't fit! The bend in the pipe is round the wrong way at the exhaust end and the profile is slightly different. This is weird. I tried my old (just serviceable) one up against the sedan and variant and it seems to fit both, so what's the story with this other one? The plot thickens as when I bought the variant, the previous owner gave me an eberspacher exhaust (knackered) thinking that it was from the car. This knackered one is the same as the NOS one I bought.

So in short there seems to be two types. Anyone know more?

:?:
Kieron

shawn71

Re: Eberspacher exhaust - there seem to be 2 types

Post by shawn71 » 14th March 2011 - 6:52pm

I know the NOS one I bought from Bryan was/is a slightly different shape to the old that was fitted but it went on and works.

My old one had a bend at the exhaust end to follow the line of the engine exhaust whereas the new one is just a straight end that required scavanging an end cap from an old broken exhaust.

This pic from the parts book shows 2 types though it's not much help. But it does show the my new one is the top one with the small endcap.
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay