carb inlet ducting question

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
aircoolsteve

carb inlet ducting question

Post by aircoolsteve » 11th March 2010 - 10:05pm

hi all. i'm gradually finding all the parts to get my type4 engine running in standard form, but i've no idea of what VW used in some of the cases.
one of these is the tubular duct that feeds air from the outside to the inlet on the airbox.
its a carbed engine with the plasic square airbox that takes the 21x21mm paper filter. its possible that it may be an airbox from a bus but i dont know what the carbed type4 engine uses in variants.
the size of the flexable pipe would be 65 inside diameter but i cant find anyone silling it in that size. if anyone has any of this pipe or knows where i can get some, i'd very much like to purchase it. i only need about a meter.
many thanks.

Editor

Post by Editor » 12th March 2010 - 1:16am

eBay item 150418527071 has sold, but would PVC corrugated hose be the sort of thing you're after? If so, there should be some around out there. Agricultural use maybe, or look up the maker's phone and email on their website http://www.griflex.com/ .

Or ask Jane and Bryan Terry if they have the piece you need. 01303840374.
Dave.

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 12th March 2010 - 8:15am

ah thanks for that dave. was searching for ages last night and found one supplier but i didn't find that one.
i saw some on ebay that says its 65mm but it turns out to be the outside diameter. i need the 65 to be the inside diameter or it wont go onto the airbox.
steve

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 12th March 2010 - 7:47pm

well i'm getting there with the ducting but had a minus today with the air filter eliment. its the square one that is 2x21mm. i got one from a local factors and it was indeed 21x21mm but was 15mm too high. so i've been on the phone a bit today. german and sweedish seemed like a good place to start and armmed with the element part number off the top lid of the airbox i called them. several times but they didn't answer their phone!
ended up at coolair who cross-referenced the VW part number i have and they have ordered one for me, so we'll see when it gets here whether its the correct item.
like a dimwit, i've left the part number i wrote down at work so i cant post it here with the hope of identifying exactly what vehicle it came from.
coolair said it was for a bus but if its 15mm shallower its probably out of a type4 veriant that came with carbs.
steve

Editor

Post by Editor » 13th March 2010 - 1:10am

It doesn't list it in the parts book I have. Could it be it's an oil-filled one up to 71-ish? I know they used to have paper filters for quite a few years.

On the intake hose, they don't say a diameter but it uses 62 - 87mm clip. You need 690mm of it. it was probably cardboard originally. I think I've seen it available for a bus in a USA supplier. Might even be able to get it from a VW dealer.
Dave.