Automatic to manual Conversion

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
s.unsworth

Automatic to manual Conversion

Post by s.unsworth » 15th August 2013 - 9:17am

Has anyone converted a Type 3 Automatic to Manual?

I wanted to do it in 1992 when my Auto Box lost all drive. I had it rebuilt instead with all new Clutches and Brake Bands. It has been fine ever since, despite being off the road for much of the time since for a body off rebuild. I just wonder if parts will be available in the future for this Auto Box ? Any advice please ?

Steve
Last edited by s.unsworth on 18th August 2013 - 8:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marko

Re: Automatic to manual Conversion

Post by Marko » 15th August 2013 - 11:48am

it's a popular box despite been quite rare in a Type3, they can be found in campers and spares are available if you know where to look. I love how my auto drives and wouldn't swap it over to a manual. swapping over to a manual would be a heck of a task for sure. for starters the pan is different and would need altering for the shifter/rod/pedals. you would obviously need the manual box and drive shafts (auto drive shafts are different lengths), manual starter and modify wiring loom to suit. there's a few other small jobs to do to complete the conversion but in all honesty it would be easier to sell your car and buy a manual! that of buy a complete chassis with transmission.
my 1968 Fastback Automatic build thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

Editor

Post by Editor » 15th August 2013 - 12:30pm

Clutch cable and guide tube needed too! I believe the auto starter is OK for either, as it has its own front (rear!) bearing support built-in, and is a handy thing to use if you're having trouble with the sleeve in the clutch housing on a manual type starter.

There's also a needle bearing required for the flywheel.

If it's lasted 30 years and maybe 100,000 miles so far, will it ever be your problem again?

Loads more automatics went to the USA - there probably will not be a problem with parts supply for a long time yet.
Dave.

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 18th August 2013 - 8:57pm

It was just a thought. I am a bit worried about lack of spares in the future. It has done 134,000 miles now but was rebuilt with new Brake Bands and Clutches in `92 -`93 then was off the road for around 18 years. It leaked a lot from 1988 when I bought the car then did not leak at all after the rebuild, until last week when it started leaking a bit again. I have 3 spare Auto Boxes but only 1 Torque Convertor and 0 Drive Plates. I sold a Drive Plate years ago for £15 to somebody in Edinburgh who was desperate for one having phoned me after Jane Terry told them I might have one. Not now ! Try looking for a Type 3 Drive Plate ( it`s not the same as a Type 4 ) on ebay, or a Torque Converter, or an Auto Gearbox , or even the Front Mounting. There is one ebayer selling a Type Drive Plate in the USA, who says he will do you a rebuilt Auto box for $3000 ! www.vwispwest.com say they have 2 used Type 3 Drive Plates. That`s not a lot to go at.
Last edited by s.unsworth on 18th August 2013 - 9:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marko

Post by Marko » 18th August 2013 - 9:03pm

mine leaks a little from the sump but I have a new gasket to fit when I get round to it, apart from that it's a joy to drive :) it clunks when I put it into reverse when warmed up but I can live with that!
my 1968 Fastback Automatic build thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

spannermonkey

Post by spannermonkey » 21st August 2013 - 10:24am

First post - sorry it's a bit of an open question. I'm looking to get a type3 for a bit of a project. I am not mechanically minded at all, although will want to learn a bit as time goes on. I've got the possibility of what looks like a tidy square type3, but it's an auto and I was just assuming I'd get a manual. What are the autos like? This is a US car - I only mention that in case US cars had a different auto box to Euro spec cars. My worry is it could be a bit sluggish and I was hoping to tweak whatever car I get to give it a bit more oomph! Or do I just get what looks like a good auto and chill out a bit 8)

Editor

Post by Editor » 21st August 2013 - 11:59am

If you want oomph, it's probably not a good idea to get a Type 3 at all! You won't reach even the modest acceleration of an old Golf TDi without major engine mods.

If you want a car with style, loads of room, able to keep up with the other traffic and be something you can work on fairly easily, a Square is a good choice.

USA Automatics are the same as ours, except they put the steering wheel the wrong side, and had different lights to cope with that. Also, if it came from a 'dry' State (not East or South-East USA) it's probably pretty sound in bodywork. It will be Fuel Injection, (unless someone has given up on a simple problem and converted it to carbs), which when it's running well is a bit more responsive than twin carbs.

None of us on here was born with engineering skills - you learn 'on the job'. There's plenty of support available on the Forum, too.

If you don't do any major mods, it won't be worth any less if you change your mind later - you can't say that for more modern cars.

If this car has found you, I'm afraid you can't change destiny (yes, I am nuts over Type 3s!). Good luck with the project. Chill out and enjoy.
Dave.

spannermonkey

Post by spannermonkey » 21st August 2013 - 2:56pm

fair point re the oomph! :lol: You're right about the other points too of course. I have a 1958 car tucked away as well (kinda related to VW) and that will be easily outrun by a Prius with a dying battery...still makes me smile wickedly though! Just wasn't too sure about an auto trans, but notice on here (searched a few threads) that there seem to be a fair number of autos about.

Thanks for the advice

69type3

Post by 69type3 » 23rd August 2013 - 10:35am

I've got an ex UK squareback down here in NZ and when I first saw the car for sale was reluctant to buy it due to it being an auto. However I loved the look of the thing so much that I dived in anyway and have to say I always thought the auto drove surprising well and shifted well with more than enough punch to keep up with modern day traffic.

Unfortunately the box leaked heavily from the torque converter so I had it pulled and reconditioned at a cost which equalled the purchase price of the car!

I personally wouldn't convert an auto to manual but as previously noted you could just do a pan swap with a manual donor vehicle.

There is a great post on thesamba.com showing how to rebuild an auto and the kits are out there.

The guy who rebuilt my box remarked that transmission internals were in remarkably good shape which is testament to the robustness of the 003 tranny. My car had done 151,000miles and the first owner was meticulous with maintenance which always aids longevity and reliability.

I think the key thing with the automatic type three is to ensure the kick-down switch is adjusted correctly to ensure optimum performance and fuel economy. Both of which will never quite match up to a manual car but I can live with that :D
1969 1600L Variant Automatic
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 23rd August 2013 - 5:42pm

I just checked parts availability with http://www.automatictransmissionsltd.co.uk/ in Preston who rebuilt my Type 3 Auto Transmission in 1992. They said yes parts are still available but called it a VW 010 Transmision. Is he thinking of the wrong one ? 69type3 calls it a 003.
Anyway automatictransmissionsltd.co.uk say any Torque Converter can always be rebuilt but Drive Plates were always supplied by VW, so that could be a problem in the future. Has anyone got any please ? I should have asked about the Differentials as well. Mine was not touched when the Auto Transmission was rebuilt except for replacement of the Seal between the Diff and the Auto Trans part of the box. I had one of those seals fail on first road test of a used Transmission fitted to my Variant before having my box rebuilt. Transmission Fluid leaked into the EP 90 in the Diff. It did not like that, siezed and broke up, taking the car off the road. No damage to car or driver but I would not fit used Auto Trans without changing that one seal again !

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 26th August 2013 - 3:26pm

Dave ( Hall ) Do you know if the Type 3 ( & 4 for that matter ) Auto Transmission is a VW 010 or VW 003 as 69Type3 says it is please ? I have always thought the 411 / 412 Auto Box is exactly the same as The Type 3 , except for the Drive Plate. Is that correct ?

I got this list of contacts from Automatic Transmissions Preston, so I have emailed them all to ask what is and is not available for us :-

Hard to find used parts can be purchased through VMTP on 01543270555 (Andy Jennings)

New parts suppliers are ;

Sussex Autos 01323 848886

Automatic Choice 01761 452255

JPAT 0845 130 4754

Vanmatic 0208 848 9911

Autolink 0208 998 7222

Editor

Post by Editor » 26th August 2013 - 6:07pm

I understood it was an 003 - all the part numbers start with that. Not to say the same parts weren't re-numbered for an 010 box, but that's way outside my knowledge.
Dave.

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 26th August 2013 - 9:14pm

What would the VW010 box be for please ?

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th August 2013 - 9:29pm

Try googling VW 010 gearbox as I did and http://www.a2resource.com/eandt/ratios.html gives a chart of gear ratios for loads of VW models - the last 2 columns show A1 (Golf 1), A2 (Golf 2), some turbo diesel and some gas (petrol). Seems to ba a 3-speed autobox. for the earlier years of Golfs. It could well be tat these boxes use the same parts as the 003, which is why some dealers talk about 010 and others 003. Of course I could be wrong...
Dave.

alex d

Post by alex d » 28th August 2013 - 8:41am

the type 3 and type 4 are 003s, the early automatic buses have a 003 too (similar gearbox side, different ring & pinion casing), but later buses have the 010, which was also used in lots of watercooled VWs.

oh and just for the record the 001 is the beetle semiautomatic gearbox :D
P-R-N-D-2-1

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 28th August 2013 - 9:17am

Thank you for that. I got 1 reply about parts availability if anyone needs to know :-

Overhaul kit with friction and steel plates = £96.84
Filter = £11.29
Front Band = £39.22 rebuildable core required before shipping
Rear Band = £100.67 rebuildable core required before shipping
Modulator = £38.58
Unable to source - forward clutch diaphragm springs
All prices are plus vat and carriage, these are coming from America lead time to us is 2-3 weeks

Regards

Mike Birnie
Sales Advisor
Sussex Auto Parts Ltd
Unit 40 Station Road Ind. Estate
HAILSHAM
BN27 2EY
ENGLAND
http://www.sussexautos.com /
mailto:michael.birnie@sussexautos.co.uk
Tel. +44 (0)1323 848886
Fax. +44 (0)1323 843487
Last edited by s.unsworth on 7th October 2013 - 5:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

spannermonkey

Post by spannermonkey » 30th August 2013 - 11:01pm

Thought I'd let you know I decided to go for it - looking forward to learning more on here about these cars and how to best enjoy it :D