009 distibutor

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
markthehat

009 distibutor

Post by markthehat » 14th February 2013 - 11:04am

My type 3 came with 009 dissy. Some say that its difficult to set up to run properly and mine is quite lumpy at low revs. Is it worth changing to different one :?:

miketyp3

Re: 009 distibutor

Post by miketyp3 » 14th February 2013 - 1:51pm

Yes, without a doubt.
If you are running standard carbs, or at least can connect the vacumn advance, then the stock distributor the car came with will always be the best choice.
The problem is being centrifugal only they only react to engine speed and not throttle position - hence your poor slow running and flat spotting on acceleration.
They were orginally designed for stationary engines that ran at constant speed, and therefor only required a simple distributor.
They were then picked up by drag racers in the US who needed something that they could fit that didn't need a vac take off (after the supply of Porsche "050" dizzys dried up).
In sprinting the advance is all out by the time you leave the line, so as long as the full advance was set correctly, and the engine will start the advance curve is really not that important.
This is where the myth that they are a "performance" part originated, helped no doubt by the fact they are easy and cheap to make - so profitable to sell.

Also it's worth pointing out that they don't have the extra advance on cylinder 3 that our VW's need, because that cylinder is partally blocked by the oil cooler it will run hotter than it would with the stock part.

Anyway, that's my opinion...

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

markthehat

Post by markthehat » 14th February 2013 - 2:55pm

Thanks mike, i'm running standard carbs but with pancake air filters. Will search for a standard one. Are there any differences between late and early models? mines a 67 but with later motor in. cheers for the help. :-)

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 14th February 2013 - 3:57pm

The parts book lists 24 different distributors, so yes there are some differances...
If you have the engine number you can look up the correct one here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/man ... ectric.pdf (scroll down a bit) there are a lot of simularities between some of the later distributors, so some maybe interchangeable - others on here might know.

Also there's a guide here http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#C1967 which has all the settings and part numbers for points, caps etc should you need them.

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

markthehat

Post by markthehat » 15th February 2013 - 6:36pm

Ok cheers mike, who said old vw's were simple !!! my trekker just ran until it wasnt safe to use anymore!!!! will see how i get on thanks for info. :-)