which clutch?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
markthehat

which clutch?

Post by markthehat » 6th February 2013 - 7:05pm

Hi all, is the clutch the same in my 67 squareback as beetle one? as engine coming out next week for a few oil leaks, new tinware and carbs so thought i do clutch as well. Oh how difficult to do gear rod support in tunnel? :?:

Editor

Re: which clutch?

Post by Editor » 7th February 2013 - 1:19am

Clutch is 200mm, and should have an integral ring for the release bearing to push on. Later ones have a diaphragn clutch with lots of fingers and use a different release bearing. Having broken a couple of clutch bolts when removing them once, I mistrust the old ones. Who knows, some gorilla may have tightened them way over-torque, but it wasn't very easy to remove the broken ends. I think I had to weld a blob of mig onto them and unscrew that. Anyway, you may need to have a new set handy.

The nylon gear-shift sleeve is awkward, but the proper way is to remove the rear coupling, the gear shift and mounting plate and the front tunnel access hatch, and pull the shift rod out far enough to clear the sleeve. Then remove any bits and fit the new sleeve and clip, then reinsert the shift rod. Luckily I've not had to do it for myself. I don't think there are any other problems as long as the mounting is OK. Try to replace gear shift plate in original position (match the screw marks) to avoid problems selecting the gears.
Dave.

markthehat

Post by markthehat » 7th February 2013 - 5:51pm

cheers for reply, have know ordered one. few days in garage next week as also fitting new carbs and and tinware and going back to original airbox set up rather than pancake ones, will let you know how it goes !!!

markthehat

Post by markthehat » 14th February 2013 - 11:01am

Well that went well!!!! clutch the wrong one, transpires car has later engine with 210 mm clutch ;-). Got new tinware on around engine but cant use origanal airbox as missing plastic connectors that go between them. And is it worth it as running j tubes so can't see a way of rigging up any warm air set up anyway.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 14th February 2013 - 3:00pm

[quote="markthehat"]transpires car has later engine with 210 mm clutch ;-). quote]
Who told you that?
All type 3's use 200mm clutches, except the very first which had 180mm.
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

markthehat

Post by markthehat » 14th February 2013 - 3:54pm

??? ok then. so that means the gearbox has been changed as well then? . i know its a later engine as it had the support bar across the back of the engine but not attached (as no mountings to attach it too in a 67) and early ones had single central engine mount to rear which mine has and uses.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 14th February 2013 - 5:40pm

markthehat wrote:??? ok then. so that means the gearbox has been changed as well then? . i know its a later engine as it had the support bar across the back of the engine but not attached (as no mountings to attach it too in a 67) and early ones had single central engine mount to rear which mine has and uses.
It will still use a 200mm clutch though.
Mike

markthehat

Post by markthehat » 15th February 2013 - 6:20pm

??? the clutch that was in there was a 210 mm one, all did in the end was replace friction plate as we had new one laying about. should i have replaced that with 200 mm clutch then as the thrust bearing on the later clutch is different to the ones on early clutch. Sorry for sounding stupid :-)

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 15th February 2013 - 10:57pm

Hi Mark,
I can only think its a type 4 / 2A friction plate, at least then the splines would match.
I don't think the type 4 pressure plate fits to the type 1,2,3 flywheel, but then I've never tried...

Anyway, if you've got it working thats all that matters. :)

Mike
Mike