turn signal wiring (and dash clock)

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
TYPE IV estate

turn signal wiring (and dash clock)

Post by TYPE IV estate » 19th July 2009 - 7:46am

OK. So I was driving, and before I went out I checked all my turn signals. Halfway through the drive I noticed on my right turns there was no clicking at the dash to indicate the turn signal being on. Sure enough, my right lenses were not lighting up, but my left ones were working fine. If it matters, I was playing around trying to get my gas gauge and dash lights working, so something may have happened there. I am thinking a flasher burned out . Any ideas? Where are the flashers on the car. By the way, I checked the lights, they are all good. Also, does anyone have a sketch of the back of the clock/ gas gauge complete with wire colors etc.? The wiring diagram is not helping! None of the colors are the same and it is hard to match up positions with those on the gauge. It is a 73 type 4 wagon. Thanks in advance.

3nero

Post by 3nero » 19th July 2009 - 2:23pm

i had the same problem on my 412ls
i traced it to loose connectors just below the right headlight. the mat that covers the spare wheel was pulling on them whenever i lifted it to check the spare. i rerouted the wires over the headlight bowl instead. the flasher relays are behind the fuse box, but if the left one is working the relay should be ok. also take out your fuses one by one and clean the tips of them and the little contacts they clip into. they may look fine but after 36 years they may be slightly crusty.
1977 Bay
1974 412ls