Wiring Harness/Loom

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Battle

Wiring Harness/Loom

Post by Battle » 27th May 2009 - 8:59pm

Anyone now where to get one? need costs for insurance Bollox :?

Ta
Last edited by Battle on 27th May 2009 - 10:53pm, edited 2 times in total.

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th May 2009 - 9:04pm

No idea - you may have to work on 'last published price' which is what an insurance co may limit the cost to.

I guess good secondhand otherwise - £10 to £20 maybe?
Dave.

Battle

Post by Battle » 27th May 2009 - 10:52pm

I can find them for every other vw bar type 3's

They start at £200 :shock:

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 28th May 2009 - 3:01pm

When I need one I was going to use this place http://www.autosparks.co.uk/index.php?cPath=292 they list a 72/73 one at £190, but I know they do specials to order as they did one for a T34 belonging to a friend of mine.

Mike.

Editor

Post by Editor » 28th May 2009 - 8:12pm

Presumably only the engine area is needed? Obviously joins are not good news, so I suppose a full harness may be acceptable to the insurance company, but it's a big job.
Dave.

dubnut62

Post by dubnut62 » 31st May 2009 - 5:39pm

Not cheap, but if they insist............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-TYPE- ... enameZWDVW

George

Battle

Post by Battle » 31st May 2009 - 10:52pm

Cheers guys,
Im now waitin for an engineer to look at it friom the insurance company :?

I just wanna be out in the sunshine with my windows down enjoyin the car i love :(

If i have my way it will be back and better than ever! 8)

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 10th June 2009 - 9:14pm

well this is a bit of a coincidence! i needed a complete loom for my type3 square as the loom in it was more than a bit shabby. a fire in the waiting i thought.
so i was looking around for ages but as i was taking the whole car appart it was going to be quite a long time before i needed any wires.
i found a few that were just so overpriced (in the hunreds) that i even thought of putting the old one back in say after i'd done some repairs to it.
my car was a 6 volt and i wanted to change that to 12 volts so it made good sense to get a later loom and perhaps mod it here and there to make it work.
replacing a hole harness is an undertaking that should not be taken lightly. its a fair bunch of wires up front that will make you wince at first. you really need to take a segmanted attitude. that is, treat each circuit individually fuse by fuse. if you are using a second hand loom be ready for what the prevoius owners have done to it.
the loom i bought for £30 had the fuse box with it and was still connected to the wires. but not correctly! its out of a 1973 so was a bit different to the earlier looms. had 12 fuses as opposed to the 10 i had.
the thing about my rewire was that i could only find a rear loom from a 64 but it was in really nice condition so iv'e used it. the colours are the same. the trace colours wind round the late wires and are striaght on the earlier wires.
i'm fitting a type4 engine that runs an alternator so out came the regulator. i took an 8 wire loom connector from a moddern car and soldered everything properly and used that clever shrink tube to make a professional looking job. you will need a basic meter and few electrical tools, plus a lot of time. oh, and a wiring diagram you can get off the web.
so if you can get an agreement with your insurance guy and the front part of your loom is ok, its quite possible to replace the rear half.
i only have one thing that i cant sort out concerning the headlight relay so i will be posting it on here to find a remedy
good luck with it.
steve