53 Year old Barnfind, running.

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
kaddy

53 Year old Barnfind, running.

Post by kaddy » 1st August 2020 - 12:01am

53 year old Irish VW Variant Barnfind first startup after 50 years lying in ashed as a non runner

See all 5 vids. Its the car I got a couple of weeks ago, never started in 50 years.

Now running sweetly with the same original engine and parts.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEPOhHw ... e=youtu.be

richtbiscuits

Re: 53 Year old Barnfind, running.

Post by richtbiscuits » 1st August 2020 - 8:51pm

A good job done! Sound great. Testament to superb engineering and some well spent and considered tinkering time.
'72 412 LE Variant
'73 412 LE Variant
'83 1200 Beetle

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 1st August 2020 - 10:58pm

Considering that 50 years ago this car was resigned to the shed because the wrong distributor was fitted to it
by some well meaning mechanic.
This meant that the vacuum unit did not allow the distributor to revolve enough to allow the proper setting
of the ignition timing.
When we examined it the timing was firing about 40 mm before the marks on the pulley. The dissy vacuum
can was fouling on the dissy plate nut.
So we could not set it.

For a workaround we removed the vacuum can, and replaced the distributor, set the timing.

And away she went.

Dave Summers

Post by Dave Summers » 2nd August 2020 - 9:48pm

That mechanic deserves an award for helping to preserve a fine car. 50 years ago the verdict on him might have been a bit different...
Dave
412 Variant
411 2-door saloon

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 4th August 2020 - 5:42pm

The mechanic is me. And the car got its first drive out of the workshop yesterday,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KZdf9xnjLM

Dave Summers

Post by Dave Summers » 4th August 2020 - 7:07pm

I meant the well-meaning mechanic 50 years ago.
Good to see it running.
Dave
412 Variant
411 2-door saloon

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 4th August 2020 - 11:43pm

Yeah I know, but I couldn't resist :badgrin:

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 7th August 2020 - 10:58pm

kaddy wrote:
1st August 2020 - 11:00pm
Now she runs like this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrZXjJ63KXk
You'll not get far with that size petrol tank :D but shes running nicely for a car thats dont bugger all for 50 years.
The sultan of swing

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 9th August 2020 - 10:55am

It will get me around the yard, and thats the commitment I made to the guy that sold me his
deceased fathers car :)

And he was surprised that it took only 2 days to check the engine and pin down the problem.

And it was this problem that put this car pushed onto a boat for Dublin back in 1970,

because the AA man could not get it going. Landed in Ireland, towed back to the coast and put

in the shed. Local mechanic got it running, conked out along the road. Done some more fiddling,

And pushed into the shed as a non runner. I got my hands on it a few weeks ago, and now its driving.

Luvverly Jubbly. And as 53 year old VW goes, its 100% solid. Cant get any better.

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 21st December 2021 - 2:17pm

As the 72 fasty is now a rolling resto with minor bits to do, I have removed the engine from the 67 variant, to get it ready for a nice winter project on a rebuild.
Out and stripped down, and its all great so far. I found it odd that there was no thermostat, and no thermostat support frame, bracket or rod the further I went.
I finally discovered this innovative (not) method of running with no thermostat.

Look closely and see how the flap has received some modification to help it in its new role.....as a door stop??

PP

Post by PP » 21st December 2021 - 3:14pm

Good luck with the 1967 rebuild Tim.
Are you going to replace the thermostat mechanisms ? - presumably the previous owners took it out.
Paul P

A few hot whiskeys might help you out, if that is your favorite tipple - you must be very near the Tullamore Dew Distillery ?!

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 21st December 2021 - 3:31pm

PP wrote:
21st December 2021 - 3:14pm
Are you going to replace the thermostat mechanisms ? - presumably the previous owners took it out.
Paul P

A few hot whiskeys might help you out, if that is your favorite tipple - you must be very near the Tullamore Dew Distillery ?!
Ha,ha. Thanks.

I am more of a kilbeggan whiskey man, and the newcastle brown when I can get it.

For definite I will be fitting the thermostat mechanism, thats what its for. I dont like to see this type of bodgery, so fingers crossed.
I also found a strange bit of wear on number 1 exhaust pushrod which I have never seen before. Its in a part of the rod thats in the pushrod tube. But there is no
marking in the tube which is strange enough. There must have been something running against it. I did not plan on splitting the case, but might have no choice now after seeing that. I was only planning a top end over haul.

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 22nd December 2021 - 12:30pm

Just managed to clean up the engine number boss. Its T 002822 R. Which puts it at between Aug and Dec 1965 as 54 HP Twin carb 1600

Can some one shed some light on the R designation after the number.

Thanks

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 26th December 2021 - 10:10am

kaddy wrote:
21st December 2021 - 3:31pm
PP wrote:
21st December 2021 - 3:14pm
Paul P

Ha,ha. Thanks.

I am more of a kilbeggan whiskey man, and the newcastle brown when I can get it.

For definite I will be fitting the thermostat mechanism, thats what its for. I dont like to see this type of bodgery, so fingers crossed.
I also found a strange bit of wear on number 1 exhaust pushrod which I have never seen before. Its in a part of the rod thats in the pushrod tube. But there is no
marking in the tube which is strange enough. There must have been something running against it. I did not plan on splitting the case, but might have no choice now after seeing that. I was only planning a top end over haul.

Open the result of a pushrod tube being deformed. Ive seen a few, people have replace the tube, but not the rod. So you may be seeing someones half hearted work again.
The sultan of swing

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 26th December 2021 - 4:13pm

Yeah, being optimistic, thats what I am hoping.
I have checked the wear limits on the pistons, barrels, and the end float so far, and its all great. I have a good internal camera that I am gonna hook up to the laptop, and give the internal a good scrutiny as well as I can. If I see any wear that concerns me on the cam lobes or elsewhere, then thats going to push me to open it.
But having just revovered from a heart attack, I am hoping to keep the work to a minimum if I can.

On the plus side, the engine had great oil pressure, and no knocking so thats a major plus.

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 29th December 2021 - 9:01am

I am still at a loss to figure out the bodgery on the cooling flaps in order to keep them permanently open.
Its not like Irelands climate is anything like sub saharan africa.

Of course when it comes to the heating and cooling of both engine and car in a VW aircooled driven vehicle, you are guaranteed to see all sorts of
bodgery at work. The shutter flap bending was a first for me tho.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 29th December 2021 - 11:09pm

Usually the thermostat fails open. but they do occasionally fail shut. If that happened, someone may have disconnected it and then simply held the flaps open permanently. Its not unusal to see the flaps removed all together.
The sultan of swing

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 30th December 2021 - 10:50am

If you look closely at the photograph you can see that the flap has been bent and clenched around the cooling shroud casing,
to hold it open. First class bodgery in my opinion. Its really simple to fit a new thermostat as we all know.

The right way is often the quckest, simplest, best option.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 13th January 2022 - 7:48am

Yeha id seen it was held open. I was ponderiing why. To bend the flat like that requires the carb to be removed in order to get the top tin off. Which is no small job. Hmmm
The sultan of swing

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 8th March 2022 - 7:59pm

Engine is now back in the car, with that nasty bodge fixed.

Need to check the brake calipers now tomorrow. I have been told the 67 calipers with 56mm bolt distance is the same as the later beetles
Is that correct

Dave Summers

Post by Dave Summers » 8th March 2022 - 8:11pm

Yes, they should be the same as all disc-braked Beetles I think. VW Heritage certainly shows them as the same.
Dave
412 Variant
411 2-door saloon

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 8th March 2022 - 8:58pm

I thought as much, thanks. I was checking on some repair kits today for the car, and its nearly as cheap to replace the caliper. Although I would prefer original german calipers. But beggars cant be choosers.