Probem with refiting spring plate

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
sima112

Probem with refiting spring plate

Post by sima112 » 23rd July 2020 - 4:24am

Hi guys,

a torsion bar on my type 3, 71' Squareback broke. Took it out without a problem, got new one with bushings and having big problem refit the spring plate when lifted on the stop. No matter how long i'd been banging into it, still have a gap about 0,5cm and the cover doesnt match the holes to use bolts for tightening it up.
I managed to put it on with the spring plate in 13 degree angle but still couldnt even put the outer bushing on. Obviously is way too low, i guess the correct angle is 23 degrees

Anyone had similar problem? Or what would be the correct procedure. Do I fit the cover and bushing on with longer bolts before lifting to make the torsion bar not bending and later replace with original bolts. Thats only think which i havent tried yet, as i didnt know. I already had it dismantled twice and as i cannot leave car on the street over night i need to always assemble it. so i would prefer to know better what im doing before next attempt.

Thank you for your sugestions
Sima

broady_6

Re: Probem with refiting spring plate

Post by broady_6 » 26th July 2020 - 9:56am

Assume were talking about a rear tosion bar?

Can you put a photo on? Theyre worth a thousand words. But my guess from what youve said is youve inserted the bar into the subframe, and then tried to fit the spriing plate onto the end of the bar. But you cant get the spring plate into this stop notch because it needs to be raised and then slid in further.

Try jacking the spring plate slowly, be careful as you can raise the car from its stands. Then hit the end of the torsion tube with a hyde face mallet to get it to slide home. If this doesnt work, try using a strap around the top of the damper mount and the spring plate, this will remove the car lifting issue. Ive used both methods in the past.

Best of luck
The sultan of swing

sima112

Post by sima112 » 26th July 2020 - 5:30pm

yes, its rear torsion bar.

i actually didnt have a problem raise the spring plate on the stop notch, but when i did, i cannot mount back the cover with the rubber bushing. There is still a little gap between the subframe and the spring plate and the holes for cover does not much.

Sorry, you are right, its difficult to explain. I will try to make a picture next time.

Now i have a new lead. i found great article about this repair on vw-resource.com

" (quote-i hope the author wouldn't mind)

Now you need to install the torsion bar cover plate. You might need two slightly longer bolts for this (placed in diagonal holes), as the spring plate will be projecting out past the stop-lip and the normal bolts may not be long enough to grab the threads to pull the cover plate home.

You then tighten the two bolts you've started, pulling the spring plate in so it's just snug against the stop-lip, then jack up the axle end until the plate is higher than the stop-lip, then tighten the cover plate fully so the spring plate will rest on the stop-lip when you release the jack. DON'T try to jack the spring plate up before you start fastening the torsion bar cover plate - the plate must be partly secure with at least two bolts in diagonal holes BEFORE the spring plate is raised, or you'll never be able to start the cover plate bolts in their threads. "

Here is my problem I guess. I was lifting the plate first and then tried putting the cover on,
in the article he recommends first securing cover with longer bolts and then lift

I will give it a go an report back

Thank you Broady for trying to help me,
very appreciate it
Sima

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 7th August 2020 - 10:51pm

I hope I did help. Has the advice from rob and dave helped? I should have mentioned it earlier, but spraying the rubber doughnut with silicone will help things slide into place. Along with the longer bolts
The sultan of swing

sima112

Post by sima112 » 9th August 2020 - 3:36am

All done, finally had some spare time and got into the fight again. The longer bolts worked great, everything went much smoother then expected, even without hammer. I used two bolts 5 cm and two 6 cm (original are 4 cm). And spring plate lifted just using a bottle jack. Car didnt have intention to lift up, so no need of chain. Anyway, thas a great trick to know for next time. I found out that in the manual says 21,5 degree for squareback and thats what i set it. I will see how it goes when driven. Now I need to change the grease in cv joints as i messed it up big time, its full of send. So good cleaning and new grease. At least ive learned cv join assembly.
I will have some question about camber as i have a negative one on the other side of the car, but i will search first and make new post (treat - cannot find the word)

Thanks for your support Sima