Type 3 High back seat covers

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
broady_6

Type 3 High back seat covers

Post by broady_6 » 29th June 2020 - 10:03pm

Hello all,

Im at the stage where I want to get some covers for my high back seats. I plan to keep the low backs and have the option between the two sets of seats. My rear bench seat has a small cut in it. Most probably repairable, but it has pulled through in a corner as well. While not currently visible its only time before this tear grows.

Options are as follows,

Get covers for the pair of high back front seats and moulded foam, these will look new comparted to the rear seats.

Get this full set, my low backs look very well, so all fronts and backs should look very good. But this is an expensive option. As id also need the moulded foam for the fronts. £500+ https://www.tmiproducts.com/volkswagen/ ... notchback/

https://www.tmiproducts.com/volkswagen/ ... pe-3.html/

Find some correct basket weave black fabric and piping, then get a trimmer to make up the covers and foam to suit.

Does anyone know of any suppliers that are cheaper? My preference is to buy a set over covers and fit, but I had about £250-£300 in mind as reasonable
The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Re: Type 3 High back seat covers

Post by purplepeter » 29th June 2020 - 10:20pm

Drop a pm to Fabrik Mike on FB ("In2Rust" on here)- He's been trying to flog some inserts
But not until I've messaged you on fb as there might be another option

kaddy

Re: Type 3 High back seat covers

Post by kaddy » 30th June 2020 - 8:58am

If you want originality for your seats, its going to cost you.

On the other hand if you want a good result with a suitable fabric, it can be done a lot cheaper.

If you can beg,borrow,steal, the use of a brother sewing machine, industrial. Then salvation is at hand.

Use the existing seats for templates, cut and prepare the material, vinyl, leather. Then either get the use

of a machine for a few hours, or give the temps to some friend or pay for the sewing of the covers.

As in all things preparation of the cut pieces is the key.

I made my own covers for my beetle, and the turned out fine.