Ignition fault or vacuum?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
broady_6

Re: Ignition fault or vacuum?

Post by broady_6 » 18th April 2020 - 7:30pm

sparkywig wrote:
13th April 2020 - 11:33am
Just persevere, mine is the same. You just need to start on one issue and get that fully sorted before starting on another.
The very definition of a "labour of love"
The sultan of swing

Rob 400e

Post by Rob 400e » 29th April 2020 - 4:26pm

Ok, decided to make the most of the recent good weather and cracked on with the 411.
I had managed to cure the firing issue with a second hand injector from my stash, it’s now running smoothly. Big problem lay ahead! When I selected drive with the handbrake hard on it started see sawing like like a Rodeo bull literally pulling the back of the car down to the ground basically unable to drive it. If I gave it more revs it evened out a bit but even so something seriously not right.
The cure! I fired it up in neutral let it warm up attached a ratchet strap to the shifter and ran it to the back so I could see what happens when I selected drive blimey what a sight. All the air and vacuum pipes are silicon they were collapsing and opening as the car rocked and some of them are 10 mm internal diameter.
I’ve managed to replace almost all the silicon pipes with rubber and jobs a good one.
The silicon pipes did look the part and have not given any trouble until now but eh a lesson learnt there my advice steer clear. I’m assuming vacuums are greater because it’s auto I don’t know to be honest but the pipes are not collapsing now. Back to a smoother ride now but still a few things to sort out.
Type 411 Le four door auto .

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 30th April 2020 - 8:03pm

Sounds like an interesting diagnostic approach...... but more progress made.

It's the only way, one by one eliminate the problems until your have none left. Sometimes you have to make things worse to get to the root of a problem too.
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

Rob 400e

Post by Rob 400e » 1st May 2020 - 12:30pm

Indeed, the methodical approach is as I have learnt is the only way to go.
The diagnostic on the see sawing was a bit hit and miss! Could of resulted in the car making its own way to Burnley town centre.

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 30th June 2020 - 6:32pm

Have you checked your Vacuum Advance Unit Diaphragm is intact ?

I know my Automatic Type 3 is not Fuel Injected but it used to have a similar problem - Engine dying and cutting out when waiting to pull out at junctions, traffic lights etc.

I took the Distributor off and found all that blowing and sucking the Vacuum Unit Connections achieved was blowing and sucking air in and out of the Distributor.

I managed to find a brand new Bosch Vacuuum Unit for it. Made such an improvement I bought another one as a Spare.

Rob 400e

Post by Rob 400e » 5th July 2020 - 9:03pm

The vacuum unit was new, the major problem was an injector was hit and miss I replaced it with one I got off you, cured the running and idle speed with finer adjustment of the throttle valve. All good now.