Hood/bonnet springs removal/fitment

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
muddy

Hood/bonnet springs removal/fitment

Post by muddy » 9th March 2020 - 7:10pm

During the resto I never removed the hood/bonnet springs, so when I popped the bonnet back on it stayed upright as design.

When I had my suspension work done, the springs were removed to weld in the larger wheel tubs. When they were re-fitted, they had to be put on the furthest notch to get the bonnet to stay up at all. Even then it only stayed up half way.

Now that I've done a bit of work over winter, I removed the springs myself (putting my life in my own hands) using a ratchet strap. I've painted them and re-fitted them this weekend.
I've looked at old build pictures and seen that they were fitted on the first notch, so have managed to get them both fitted using the ratchet straps. Problem now with the springs on the original notch is that the bonnet won't hold upright at all.

Am I missing something. Have the springs lost their ability to "Spring" now that they have been removed? :?

I did try and get the spring to the farthest notch but, I didn't have the balls to do it? But even then it'll only hold itself half way. :?

Any easy way of getting these springs on and off? Seems a magic art. :?

Looks like I'll just have to concoct a bonnet stay or something. :crybaby: :crybaby:
1971 VW Type 3 1600 TE Fastback. Body off Resto completed, now just bits and pieces and niff naff to do.
Volksworld Magazine featured car 2013
Instagram: @type3.fastback

broady_6

Re: Hood/bonnet springs removal/fitment

Post by broady_6 » 18th March 2020 - 3:27pm

Not something ive expereicned. My springs have been of 3, maybe 4 times in the 11 years ive had the car. And it is only this last time ive had any issue. But much like you the panel with the hook on was removed and replaced. I put it down to my measurement being out and not doing a dry build before I paunted it. I have an idea to fix mine, but as yet I havent had time to do it. If it works then I will let you know.

I know of no magic way. If you check my thread here you can see how I did it.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3094&start=525#p67492

You need a good anchor, strong strap and balls of steel for anout 2 minutes! Id advise eye protection, or a full face shield if you can. Or a bomb disposal robot you can operate from outside the garage! :badgrin: :badgrin:
The sultan of swing

muddy

Post by muddy » 23rd March 2020 - 4:55pm

broady_6 wrote:
18th March 2020 - 3:27pm
Not something ive expereicned. My springs have been of 3, maybe 4 times in the 11 years ive had the car. And it is only this last time ive had any issue. But much like you the panel with the hook on was removed and replaced. I put it down to my measurement being out and not doing a dry build before I paunted it. I have an idea to fix mine, but as yet I havent had time to do it. If it works then I will let you know.

I know of no magic way. If you check my thread here you can see how I did it.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3094&start=525#p67492

You need a good anchor, strong strap and balls of steel for anout 2 minutes! Id advise eye protection, or a full face shield if you can. Or a bomb disposal robot you can operate from outside the garage! :badgrin: :badgrin:
I agree, I've removed mine twice now using some ratchet straps and the bumper bracket. I had my safety specs/safety visor and was wincing when I was doing it at arms length :shock: :shock: . Proper balls of steel to do. :lol:

If you find a solution to this, I'm all ears. But for me, I'm not going to attempt to move them again until necessary, I'll just have to make a bonnet prop.
1971 VW Type 3 1600 TE Fastback. Body off Resto completed, now just bits and pieces and niff naff to do.
Volksworld Magazine featured car 2013
Instagram: @type3.fastback

Johnjlong

Post by Johnjlong » 1st May 2020 - 12:32pm

Hi all, I'm currently restoring my 73 FI fastback I too had this problem with replacing the springs. I'm A maintenance fitter so I brought them in to my place of work. I took a measurement of what I thought it would be stretched, luckily we have an overhead hoist. I held one end in the vice, then I put a sling on the other end and stretched the spring to my measurement. Then I inserted 3 short pieces of half inch stainless steel pipe into the spring. The reason I used 3 pieces was for easy removal, then I used a threaded bar, put the bar through the spring. While the spring was stretched I placed a washer at either end just inside the last coil of the spring to hold the tension. Then I placed the spring into position on my fastback. I released the tension, removed the threaded bar and pipes. It worked a treat. I was delighted, hopefully this method I used might be of help. John 👍😄

Dave Summers

Post by Dave Summers » 14th July 2020 - 10:40pm

That sounds a good method, John. Certainly less scary than the way someone I used to know fitted his: he fitted the rear ends, attached steel cables between the front of the springs and a hook in his garage wall, and then drove his car in reverse until the springs had stretched far enough.
Dave
412 Variant
411 2-door saloon