Whatever has happened to customer service?

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
shawn71

Whatever has happened to customer service?

Post by shawn71 » 25th March 2011 - 11:48am

I had the misfortune of having a puncture in the front NS tyre of my 412 in the week which needed a new tyre. Checking my spare showed that the tyre was ancient and had perished so I decided to swap both tyres for new so that both fronts would be the same and the spare would be serviceable.

However on looking at the spare the offset looked slightly different so I asked the tyre fitters if they would check this for me. This met with blank expressions so I explained what I meant and he said 'yeah I'll do that before we fit the tyres'...

I left the spare and the punctured wheel with them for the day as the tyres would arrive later that day and I should be able to collect both wheels at lunchtime. Lunchtime came and went so I phoned in the middle afternoon to enquire what was happening. I was informed that they were doing it and the wheels would be ready shortly. Another hour passed and the phone rang. The spare wheel is different but he couldn't remember which one was which as the tyres aren't on either rim!

I then had to go down to the tyre fitter and show him which wheel was which and wait for him to refit that tyre to bring home to refit to the 412 in order to drive the 412 down there to have the tyre swapped from the OS wheel (which is now on the spare rim).

This is where it gets worse. I asked them to check the tracking, he started to say he hasn't got the specs to do such an old car car but I had the manual with the settings so... Next was the excuse the machine won't fit the car as the rear wheels sit a bit up into the arches and the other machine that would fit takes ages to set up! This was at 4pm and they didn't shut till 6.30pm!!!

On the way home it also became evident the balancing wasn't done correctly as there is a vibration starting to come through the steering at 45mph that wasn't there on the old set of tyres...arghhhhhhhh!!!!! I should really go back there and give them the chance to rectify it but I'm not sure I want too. Is that cutting off my nose to spite my face??

In short I won't be going back there in a hurry. :x
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay

Clockwork

Re: Whatever has happened to customer service?

Post by Clockwork » 25th March 2011 - 12:08pm

Customer service is pants these days and I don't understand why when competition in most market places these days is fierce!

I'd get back down there and get them to rectify it. Sod letting them have poor customer service skill, your cash and doing poor wok!

Give em whatfor!!
wenn es nicht luftgekühlt ist, dann ist es nicht cool

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 25th March 2011 - 12:26pm

Welcome to the world of old-age Shawn !

ARCANE

Post by ARCANE » 25th March 2011 - 12:34pm

Yeh Customer service and quality of goods/workmanship do not exist anymore its all about a quick buck and run im affraid!
Get back down there Shawn and make them rectify there shoddy work and tell them once they have sorted it exactly what you think of them and that you wont be returning in this lifetime.

Also post up the place in question so no one else need have the misfortune of there services (or lack of).

Rant over as you were. ;)

Editor: Sorry to have to edit this post of its more colourful words.
"A BLIND MAN WOULD BE GLAD TO SEE IT"

WWW.DBS-VW.CO.UK

WWW.CTTP.CO.UK

BeeBabs

Post by BeeBabs » 25th March 2011 - 2:02pm

spare tyre? What's that then :| (Ihave different size front to the backs)
But yes, I think the problem arises when the fitters are just that. They bolt on bolt off with no real product knowledge. I use a place ran by an old guy and they know what they're doing thankfully.
I'd go back and give them a chance to sort it at no extra cost. If they still couldn't do it I'd be asking for my money to be refunded. Hope you get sorted out :)

Editor

Post by Editor » 25th March 2011 - 11:07pm

I insist on removing hubcaps myself at mmy local tyre place after seeing one of them stick a screwdriver in and let the thing go flying off onto the concrete. Having said that, they are very knowledgeable guys and do a good job for peanuts much of the time.

Thery have pt names for their customers - I'm Douglas Hurd apparently - seems to fit with my white curly hair!
Dave.

ARCANE

Post by ARCANE » 28th March 2011 - 5:13pm

Appologies Dave if I offended anyone that definately wasnt my intention, point taken and I will watch my colourful language in the future.

Im off to go and sit on the naughty step and think about my actions. :D

Sorry again

Cheers Mart.
"A BLIND MAN WOULD BE GLAD TO SEE IT"

WWW.DBS-VW.CO.UK

WWW.CTTP.CO.UK

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 28th March 2011 - 6:20pm

I stopped at the ATS branch in Crowborough today on my way home from as the wobble made the car horrible to drive. They checked the balancing and discovered the front O/S wheel was 60g out of balance and the N/S wheel was slightly buckled (which explains the mammoth amount of weights that used to be on this wheel before the puncture) and would have taken a LOT of weight to rectify.

To cut a long story short they checked the trueness, pressures, checked and adjusted the balancing on the rear wheels then moved them to the front.

The manager at Crowborough apologised for the 'new' manager at East Grinstead explaining that it may have been down to their machine requiring re-calibrating and as a result didn't charge me for the work.

I still need to get the tracking done but I have that booked in for Thursday
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay

kps70

Post by kps70 » 28th March 2011 - 6:59pm

Aha - good customer service!
Kieron

dubberclub

Post by dubberclub » 5th June 2011 - 9:31pm

BeeBabs wrote:spare tyre? What's that then :| (Ihave different size front to the backs)
But yes, I think the problem arises when the fitters are just that. They bolt on bolt off with no real product knowledge. I use a place ran by an old guy and they know what they're doing thankfully.
I'd go back and give them a chance to sort it at no extra cost. If they still couldn't do it I'd be asking for my money to be refunded. Hope you get sorted out :)
Spare Tyre? Mine is the oddest one I have ever seen. Looks like a original run flat, that the early Porsche 912 had, but I could be wrong.