Important Notice regarding repro floorpans!!!

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
corndog

Important Notice regarding repro floorpans!!!

Post by corndog » 29th January 2009 - 12:49am

Reproduction floorpans are complete and utter shite and should be avoided like the plague! All the features are wrong, it's the wrong length and front inner curve is just the wrong shape.

The whole rear section sits 15mm to high so had to hammer it down to get the seat support to fit, it's just ridiculous!

But we got there in the end....

I suggest if you need to fix ur floorpan work with what good metal you've got. Kubricks passenger side was a bit rotten up front so cut the back outta a cheep beetle pan, beat&bent a lip and hey presto.....

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 29th January 2009 - 9:45am

Sorry, If you'd asked on here I'm sure someone would have given you the heads up on them and saved you the expense.

You could have also used T1 Ghia pans with a little work (probably not as much as fitting the repro pans though...).

The front profile where the the inner wing dog legs in is different, and at the back behind the battery tray, and of course the seat rails need transplanting, but they are at least the right length and width.

Mike.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 29th January 2009 - 11:22am

Out of interest,Where did you get the pans??
Next time youre considering major work,I'm quite happy to lend the spotwelder to people i know!

corndog

Post by corndog » 29th January 2009 - 2:31pm

I asked a couple of people (wont mention names) and they said nuthing!!!! Did a search on the forum and nuthin so guessed at that price they would be good :roll: Hence why I've now put this post up to clearly warn peeps away form this bad metal!!!

I purchased them from VW Status, they're exactly the same as Puppy's. I would stay clear of the repair sections to, especially that front dog leg as I can tell that's the wrong shape just from the pics.

lance

part

Post by lance » 30th January 2009 - 8:53pm

if anyone needs a floorplan original please contact me and save yourself a lot of hassle

Editor

Post by Editor » 30th January 2009 - 11:20pm

That's a shame, although generally the floors don't often need complete replacement unless the rest of the lower body is so far gone as to be a hopelessly expensive restoration.
Dave.