Anybody fitted one of these??

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
BTJustice

Anybody fitted one of these??

Post by BTJustice » 18th February 2008 - 4:51pm

Im starting to gather bits for my engine and I think this exhaust looks the muts;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-TYPE- ... QQtcZphoto

Has anybody got one fitted?

Is it any good and how has the ceramic coating held up?

Cheers in advance,

Dave.
I will finish it some day!!

Rust free imports direct from California;

www.route9autos.co.uk

The west of Scotland VW club.

http://vwscotclub.co.uk/forum/

nitro_warrior

Post by nitro_warrior » 18th February 2008 - 10:30pm

I've been eyeing them up for a while as well. With the cheapness of the dollar the price is certainly right too. Especially as I have loads of bits to get :? :lol:
Would be good to hear from experience though before parting with some "bucks" even if it is cheap...

dubnut62

Post by dubnut62 » 19th February 2008 - 9:59am

Hi, yes I fitted one about a year and a half ago, but I was tight and bought the raw steel one and painted VHT on it. Now regret that as I'm on my third or fourth coat of VHT, should have bought ceramic. I rang up ISP and bought it direct from them. Carriage was about 100 bucks and took two weeks. Came in at about 130 quid, cheaper than buying it over here. Fits lovely and sounds great. Sits below the belows, no heat issues. I run j-tubes with it and freeze ;) Got them from coolair, who have a good range of type 3 stuff nowadays.

BTW BTJustice, loved your thread on the resto, lovely job :)

George

nitro_warrior

Post by nitro_warrior » 19th February 2008 - 3:39pm

Thanks for the feedback George. Do you know how much they charge for the heat exchangers to go with it, I can't see them on their site not even sure if they're available but they're in this pic!

Also what happened with import tax, what percentage did you have to pay and is it added to postage too?

I'm even more tempted now, but first I should worry about getting mine working :roll:

BTJustice

Post by BTJustice » 19th February 2008 - 3:44pm

I will probably cop for 17.5% of the purchase price plus postage costs but it still works out pretty cheap for a ceramic coated exhaust.
I have asked the guy about combined postage as I am interested in a few things so as soon as he gets back to me I will be ordering one.

www.route9autos.co.uk

BTJustice

Post by BTJustice » 19th February 2008 - 9:54pm

Well, thats it ordered and I will let you know how it is when it arrives.
I also ordered a carb ballancer which came in at £14 and a set of cool air bellows which were only £6 and he is putting them in the box with the exhaust so no extra postage costs.

www.route9autos.co.uk

milfredo

Post by milfredo » 19th February 2008 - 10:25pm

I got one but it's not ceramic coted. Really nice fit, nice noise and no fowling with the ground if lowered.

If you already have heatexchangers just clean them up and paint them and they'll lsat years.

Cheers,

Will

BTJustice

Post by BTJustice » 19th February 2008 - 10:33pm

Im building up a new engine and managed to pick up 2 NOS exchangers so everything will get cleaned up and painted/powder coated where needed.

Glad its got a nice noise, in a weird way this is almost the most important bit of buying an exhaust :p

www.route9autos.co.uk

dubnut62

Post by dubnut62 » 20th February 2008 - 10:21am

Hi,

sorry only just got back onto this thread. Yep, much nicer noise (and less of it) than the empi single quiet pack. Yeah, the price of bellows does seem a tad high over here when you can get them for 12 bucks in the states.

Sorry don't know about the ceramic heat exchangers. I know ISP list them on their ebay auction every so often. Best to call them they are very helpful. If I remember right I have paid 10% import and 17.5% on orders from the states. Bad news is that they charge you VAT on the carriage too (*insert rude word here*).

Talk to them, they were very helpful with me on the costs ;)

George

nitro_warrior

Post by nitro_warrior » 20th February 2008 - 2:04pm

dubnut62 wrote:Sorry don't know about the ceramic heat exchangers. I know ISP list them on their ebay auction every so often. Best to call them they are very helpful. If I remember right I have paid 10% import and 17.5% on orders from the states. Bad news is that they charge you VAT on the carriage too (*insert rude word here*).
Good information thanks, I had heard you got VAT on the postage. Good to know when weighing up the option buying over the pond.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with yours Dave, trust you'll add the pics to your resto thread?! 8)

BIG F@ TW@

Post by BIG F@ TW@ » 19th March 2008 - 12:56am

i got me one of those from ISPWest, great quality. I snapped a zorst stud off so am awaiting repairs :(
i don't believe in signatures

nitro_warrior

Post by nitro_warrior » 19th March 2008 - 9:32am

If you don't mind me asking, how much does all the postage and tax come to in the end?
VW Type 3 Fastback
2x Fiat Panda 4x4

BTJustice

Post by BTJustice » 19th March 2008 - 9:39am

Sorry, forgot to update the prices.
Postage in the end cost £43 and the duty was £32+£8 parcel force charge for form filling.

I bought the ceramic coated exhaust, cool air bellows and a carb ballancer.

Looking online at UK prices, T3D have an uncoated version of the exhaust and the bellows and SSP do the ballancer.
Adding up the prices of these parts from UK suppliers and not including postage costs for the above, I only spent £13 more INCLUDING postage and tax by getting the stuff from the USA.

£13 extra for ceramic coating is pretty good I recon.

www.route9autos.co.uk