American Import??? help!!

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
Majortom

American Import??? help!!

Post by Majortom » 15th October 2015 - 8:51pm

I'm am seriously considering importing a Squareback from USA has anyone got any experience of shipping or advice on buying online. I think I have my head around shipping (car price + shipping cost + 10% duty + 20% vat) I have found a shipping company cfrrinkens that quoted £850 from miami to Portsmouth. Is there anything else I should be aware of with regards to owning an American import. Im reluctant to pay money without first viewing in person but that's not going to be possible so any ideas on what to look for would be appreciated and ideas on how to deal with payment also. I should probably mention I'm looking at getting a resto. Thanks in advance :D

Editor

Re: American Import??? help!!

Post by Editor » 16th October 2015 - 1:48am

You say "resto" - is that a project or already restored?
You already appreciate the difficulties buying a car that far away sight unseen.

A few thoughts - US spec from 1968 will be Fuel Injection, and a high proportion are Automatics. That's not necessarily a problem, but they're less common over here, which can raise problems with spares and technical expertise. Official Type 3 imports into USA only started with '66 models, though some came in from Canada before that. You will have to change the headlights to RHD and the tail-lights to amber indicators. It will be LHD, which sometimes affects insurance.

There are potential pitfalls - dishonesty in description, inadequate title, outright criminal activity. I don't know if you need to fumigate to kill pests - more likely going the opposite way. Obviously get plenty of photos, videos etc. If something goes wrong with the deal, you may have problems getting it put right.

I know quite a number of Type 3 enthusiasts in the USA on a personal basis, having met them every couple of years for much of the last decade at their Type 3 Invasions, and there may be some on the www.vwtype3.org list with a car to sell. Depending on where you find a vehicle, I may be able to give you a contact who knows of the car, or be close enough to see it. People in another country may well be as wary of selling their car to someone who lives abroad, as you are in buying. Generally prices in the USA are probably as low as anywhere.

Some states in the USA get a lot of snow and use salt on the roads, particularly in the North-East. So much depends on how the car has been looked after.

Good luck anyway.
Dave.

Havana Henry

Re: American Import??? help!!

Post by Havana Henry » 26th October 2015 - 8:22pm

But on the plus side import duty these days is only 5%. As long as you prove the car is old and original and you vouch to keep it that way or improve it.

Thoroughly recommend Kingstown shipping. They have done a good job for me and several people I know.
72 Square
64 356C